Aircraft style stainless steel cable support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainwireman

Is it acceptable to wrap aircraft style cable around the opposing right angle pieces on the bottom of a red iron truss for a hanging high bay fixture support? It seems to me these sharp angles would weaken the cable and I am hesitant to apply this application. An eye bolt with fender washers would be secure and a far better application. Any convincing evidence would be appreciated.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is it acceptable to wrap aircraft style cable around the opposing right angle pieces on the bottom of a red iron truss for a hanging high bay fixture support? It seems to me these sharp angles would weaken the cable and I am hesitant to apply this application. An eye bolt with fender washers would be secure and a far better application. Any convincing evidence would be appreciated.

Look for a minimum bend radius specification on the wire cable. At the least it will reduce the rated working strength of the cable.

You can get an idea of what is involved by scanning through this SouthWest Wire Rope catalog. YYou might find some clips from that helpful as evidence.

The minimum pin size I found in any section was twice the diameter of the wire rope, and some applications required up to 25 times the rope diameter.
The application information for aircraft style cable should be similar.

If you use an eye bolt, you should still look at the radius of the bolt material compared to the wire.

Another possible way to improve the situation would be to use a sheave or spacer of some sort to go around the corners of the beams. Preferably one listed for the purpose, not improvised. :)

hurk27

or a wire rope thimble, you can get thimbles for wire rope to give the wire rope a rounded corner to go around for such installations, but I have never used wire rope to hang high bays, I always use the appropriate hooks that are made to hang the fixture and also make it easy to remove when it requires repair, as well as using twist-loc receptacles so the fixture is easy to remove and repaired down on the ground where it is safer instead of trying to work on it up in the air, another thing is if you have a ballast fail, and you have a few back up fixtures, you can swap out the fixture and have light up an going and repair the bad fixture later when you have the time, I use to hate it when I found someone had hard piped in all the high bays.:rant:

captainwireman

Look for a minimum bend radius specification on the wire cable. At the least it will reduce the rated working strength of the cable.

You can get an idea of what is involved by scanning through this SouthWest Wire Rope catalog. YYou might find some clips from that helpful as evidence.

The minimum pin size I found in any section was twice the diameter of the wire rope, and some applications required up to 25 times the rope diameter.
The application information for aircraft style cable should be similar.

If you use an eye bolt, you should still look at the radius of the bolt material compared to the wire.

Another possible way to improve the situation would be to use a sheave or spacer of some sort to go around the corners of the beams. Preferably one listed for the purpose, not improvised. :)

Most appreciated. I will investigate and come up with manufactures specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.