Akron, Ohio Fire Alarm requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a project engineer for a low-voltage company in Little Rock. One of our customers that has offices around the country has asked us to quote them a fire alarm in Akron.

We've done security work in this facility, but not fire alarm, and I'm curious if anyone knows of any special requirements in the Akron area. Do they just use IBC, or does Ohio have their own code, does the Akron fire marshal have his own requirements, etc....?

FWIW, I'm pretty familiar with fire alarm itself; it's about 90% of what I design, and I used to be a project engineer and installation manager with Simplex before the TYCO buyout, so fire alarm isn't alien to me; Akron just is.

I know the correct answer is "call the ahj", but it's 7 pm their time, and I thought I'd ask here. (My first post here, although I've searched & read thru quite a few. There's a lot of good info on this site.)

For that matter, even contact info for the Akron ahj would be appreciated.

Thanks for any input.

thinfool

I believe you have to be licensed by the State of Ohio for both the design and installation portions of the project. (two different licenses) Legally you cannot hire an electrical contractor to run conduit and pull your cables (if it is a conduit job). The law says that the FA contractor has to be the one doing the total installation. Apparently it is legal for a licensed supplier/designer to supply "parts and smarts" as long as he does it for a licensed FA contractor.

Now...as for what really happens in the field...... (deleted by homeland-biguity)

Awg-Dawg

thinfool said:
I believe you have to be licensed by the State of Ohio for both the design and installation portions of the project. (two different licenses) Legally you cannot hire an electrical contractor to run conduit and pull your cables (if it is a conduit job). The law says that the FA contractor has to be the one doing the total installation. Apparently it is legal for a licensed supplier/designer to supply "parts and smarts" as long as he does it for a licensed FA contractor.

Now...as for what really happens in the field...... (deleted by homeland-biguity)

Hi thinfool, here in southern Ohio it seems to be the opposite, we install and pull permits for installation. The vendor (Simplex and others) draw the plans,supply the equipment and program the devices. I have never questioned the legalities of it, but I will check Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.