AL conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
What are Reel Payoff type reels ??? Well with Google I found this You Tube demostration. ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gffwx243ETc....Now why didn't I think of this
That be it..I know right....it's always the simple ideas that hit it big and leave us saying...why on earth did I not think of that.:jawdrop:

It's like the guy who was eating his lunch one day with a knife and accidentally cut his tongue out. He proceeded to invent the fork only to poke both of his eyes out with it.....moral of the story is the simplest ideas can change the world, just fix the nervous twitch first before you create eating utensils.:angel:

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
You would not need to set up those reels on blocks or jacks if you had the "Reel Payoff" type reels...;)

yep. and if southwire offered simpull on it, i'd be all over it.

or, get it on wemcos.... with pulling heads already swaged on, ready to go.
or, maxis maxjax... at $600 a pair.... $2,500 for four sets, add schedule 80
axles, and bump it to $3K with shipping......

or, take those blocks, which were just sitting there, put some scrap strut on
them with anchors, and drop the spools on them... there's probably 40 of them
sitting there in a pile. took about two hours to get it all arranged.... i don't make
$3k in two hours, except on really good days... :ashamed1:

the reel payoffs are pretty damn cool.... if they made the outer spool a bit bigger
so you could put them on rough ground, that would be better... where it'd suck
is getting a spool that had been damaged by the previous sparky who used it,
and it didn't want to spin, and suddenly you have a fork caught in a garbage disposal.
my vote is for the maxis maxjack.

now, 'cause i'm old and lazy, i only have one set up for the entire job, and that is it.
did other stuff today, but tomorrow at 7 AM, the clevis gets hung on the first pull, and
we should be pulling at 7:30, and all that wire is going in the pipe tomorrow.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
yep. and if southwire offered simpull on it, i'd be all over it.

or, get it on wemcos.... with pulling heads already swaged on, ready to go.
or, maxis maxjax... at $600 a pair.... $2,500 for four sets, add schedule 80
axles, and bump it to $3K with shipping......

or, take those blocks, which were just sitting there, put some scrap strut on
them with anchors, and drop the spools on them... there's probably 40 of them
sitting there in a pile. took about two hours to get it all arranged.... i don't make
$3k in two hours, except on really good days... :ashamed1:

the reel payoffs are pretty damn cool.... if they made the outer spool a bit bigger
so you could put them on rough ground, that would be better... where it'd suck
is getting a spool that had been damaged by the previous sparky who used it,
and it didn't want to spin, and suddenly you have a fork caught in a garbage disposal.
my vote is for the maxis maxjack.

now, 'cause i'm old and lazy, i only have one set up for the entire job, and that is it.
did other stuff today, but tomorrow at 7 AM, the clevis gets hung on the first pull, and
we should be pulling at 7:30, and all that wire is going in the pipe tomorrow.

You do know that the reel payoff can be pushed up onto any raised surface right and get conductors with SuperSlick Elite conductors at a COE of .17 and pre-installed pulling heads...lol...and the cost of the reel is negated in the savings and some distributors offer it for free....oops..now i sound like a commercial..:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.