Al/Cu connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

fault

Article 110.14 covers this fairly well. However, I have been told that a non current carrying conductor (GEC) doesn't require an al/cu wirenut because there is no catalyst for galvanic action without current. If the article does apply to the GEC then you can't put an aluminum wire to a ground screw, you must pigtail it first??? Any help would be appreciated.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Al/Cu connections

Fault, welcome to the forum! :)

Originally posted by fault:
However, I have been told that a non current carrying conductor (GEC) doesn't require an al/cu wirenut because there is no catalyst for galvanic action without current.
That may be true, but 110.14 makes no bones about the functions of the conductor - only the material the conductor is constructed of.

Also, a side note: A GEC stands for "Grounding Electrode Conductor", which is the actual conductor that runs between the service and the grounding electrode.

I think the acronym you're looking for is "EGC", Equipment Grounding Conductor. I'm not trying to pick on you here, I am only bringing it up because terminology is important here. In order for us to give the right answer to questions, it's important we're seeing the right question. :D

Conductors of dissimilar metals shall not be intermixed in a terminal or splicing connector where physical contact occurs between dissimilar conductors (such as copper and aluminum, copper and copper-clad aluminum, or aluminum and copper-clad aluminum), unless the device is identified for the purpose and conditions of use.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Assuming that the box is steel, as is the ground screw, one could use the ground screw to attach an Al/Cu rated lug to the box. The Al EGC would terminate at the lug.

The addition of the lug falls through the box volume calculation, but it will make an impact by taking up a bit more space if the box is already crammed.

fault

Thanks for the help and the correction. I intended to type EGC not GEC but thankfully I still got my point across.I understand what the article says, it still seems like a reach. Adding a rated lug to the box is a good solution but we've all been there when spitting rubber nickles would be easier and more practical at times.However it still may be less of a hassle than trying to find out if a steel four square or a stell gound srew are rated for this use.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Hey George,

The classic is the subdivision home built in the '60 - '70s that, for economic reasons, had Aluminum NM cable run. There was a world wide serious price hike in Copper that resulted in the next size larger Al NM being significantly less expensive.

I apprenticed during that period to a cost conscious contractor and put in some of that fated Al NM with my own two hands. Brrrr!

I've often wondered about those jobs and how they've weathered the years.

Suffice it to say, the NM EGC had to bond to the metallic enclosures that it entered. Hence, the use of ground screws with the Al EGC. . .ground screws as well as whatever other terminal was quick and readily available at the time.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

because there is no catalyst for galvanic action without current
Galanic action only requires contact between the two metals and the presence of an electrolyte. Current is not required, and is actually produced as a result of the galvanic action.
Don

sandsnow

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
because there is no catalyst for galvanic action without current
Galanic action only requires contact between the two metals and the presence of an electrolyte. Current is not required, and is actually produced as a result of the galvanic action.
Don
Isn't that why they pump a small charge through metal water lines??
To counter the galvanic action or corrosion??? I think from the minearals in the water??
I'm not sure, just seen the water district install it.

fault

I'm in a state subsidised, low income apartment complex that the owners are trying to convert to market housing. The place was built in 1970 and everything is Al NM. The other neat little hurdle I came across here was #12 Al on a twenty amp breaker. That one went from the local inspector to the state inspector who finally said there wasn't really anytrhing we could do because it was acceptable at the time the apartments were wired. He did want us to notify the owners in writing of the potential hazard.

hardworkingstiff

Originally posted by sandsnow:
Isn't that why they pump a small charge through metal water lines??
To counter the galvanic action or corrosion??? I think from the minearals in the water??
I'm not sure, just seen the water district install it.
In steel underground storage tanks and steel piping there is a anti-corrosion (cathodic protection) system that is sometimes installed called an impressed current system. They impress a DC current onto the tank/piping, but you also have to install anodes. The tank/pipe is the cathode and the anodes give themselves up to protect the tank. Without the anodes, the current does not help.

macmikeman

Under what conditions would you land a AL wire under a ground screw anyway?
If I ever run another alum ser #6 for a small range and I am mounting a flush outlet for it with a 4-11/16 box with a raised ring. Its a moot point though, since Home Depot came to Hawaii we can now get copper romex in larger sizes easy. Before that the local outfits only wanted to ship in alum for anything larger than #8. Shipping costs and all.

fishin' electrician

What would be the electrolyte in an indoor metal switch box with an Al EGC connected to the steel? The moisture in the air?

What about at a panel where the Al NM EGC is run to the ground bar, are we supposed to insulate the bare Al conductor from touching the steel enclosure, or a Cu EGC in the same panel?

I have seen many aluminum bell boxes with steel fasteners for both the box itself and the device, that show no signs of corrosion.

Can Al conduit terminate at a steel box?

The more I look into this the more confusing it becomes. What's up with this sentence in 250.120(B)?

(B) Aluminum and Copper-Clad Aluminum Conductors. Equipment grounding conductors of bare or insulated aluminum or copper-clad aluminum shall be permitted. Bare conductors shall not come in direct contact with masonry or the earth or where subject to corrosive conditions. Aluminum or copper-clad aluminum conductors shall not be terminated within 450 mm (18 in.) of the earth.

Where subject to corrosive conditions it shall not come in direct contact with what?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by fault:
The other neat little hurdle I came across here was #12 Al on a twenty amp breaker. That one went from the local inspector to the state inspector who finally said there wasn't really anytrhing we could do because it was acceptable at the time the apartments were wired.
Was 12 AWG AL ever rated 20 amps? :confused:

Around here buildings wired in 1970 with AL NM would use 10 AWG AL for 20 Amp circuits, 12 AWG AL would be on 15 amp breakers.

I do not think they even made 14 AWG AL.

fault

iwire,
They did it correctly where you come from. I know from the experience now that there was not a building code in the state of Connecticut prior to 1971. According to the state inspector it was permissible at the time to wire it the way they did.
I have never seen #14 Al Nm either.

Status
Not open for further replies.