alarm circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsilkwood

ok im needing a drawing heres what ive got. i have a no aux contact on a board and i want to send 120 through it to fire a relay the relay will sound a buzzer and i need a silence button. i cant get my brain to work this evening any help is greatly appreciated

cadpoint

Frankly I always thought the power was transformed to low voltage DC, but hey ... If you have no input to the Board how could a signal downline be an override to an exact fault and not trip the main alarm system ? Gezz maybe your right ...

Buck Parrish

You use a normally open relay to activate the buzzer. After that relay you have a normally closed relay. This one you will install a silence button to open the circuit shutting off the buzzer. You can use LV relays or 120 v activated relays.
The silence button will be an on off switch. You have more options of mounting it if you use 24 volts to open the 120 volt circuit in the second relay

mattsilkwood

thanks guys i was trying to figure out how to do it with one relay i drew it out last night using two but i wasnt sure if you could do it with one

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
First and foremost, whatever you install and/or connect to the FA system should be acceptable and approved by the FA manufacturer. There's a tremendous amount of liability involved with these systems and lawyers like to use the "shotgun" approach when bringing lawsuits shoud a fire occur.

Having said that, there are a couple of things you can do. A) If you only have N/O contacts available in the FA panel they should be rated for the load you are connecting. You can use an add'l SPDT relay and run the 120 volt FA relay output through the N/C side of the SPDT relay and the common out to the buzzer. To silence the buzzer use a N/O, momentary PB switch and connect it between the N/C side of the SPDT relay and the relay coil of the same relay. That way when you push the button the SPDT relay will lock-up and the buzzer will silence. When the FA is reset the relay will drop out and return to normal operation.

B) If you have SPDT contacts available in the FA panel you can use an external SPDT switch. Connect the phase leg to the common of the FA relay and connect the travelers as you would a 3-way switch. Connect the common of the switch to the buzzer. That way when the FA trips the buzzer wiill sound, moving the switch to the opposite position will silence it and when the FA is reset the buzzer will re-sound and remind you that you have to return the switch to the normal position.

Hope this helps.

Just curious, what is the buzzer for, alarm or trouble condition ?

mattsilkwood

C:\Users\matt silkwood\Documents\My Scans
C:\Users\matt silkwood\Documents\My Scans
heres what i came up with. this is for a feed auger controller on an extruder. i was trying to do it with one relay but if it can be done im not smart enough:grin:

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
benaround said:
goldstar, there is no mention of a FA panel in the OP?
See what happens when you assume things. :rolleyes:

When I saw the phrase "fire a relay" and "alarm contacts" I just made the assumption. However, fire alarm or not, if it's related to any type of alarm you still have to CYA !!!

mattsilkwood

its not really an alarm i say that as slang i guess;) it sounds when there is any deviation from the program. this place has a bunch of operators that dont care so we put a buzzer on the mezzanine so they would have to physically go to where the problem is at to silence the alarm. i suggested a shock collar system but they wouldnt spring for it.YET.:grin:
what i did was took the trouble contacts to fire r1 which fed power to my alarm via r2 then i took my silence button to fire r2 which opened the alarm circuit silenceing the alarm. i cant get pics to work or i would show the drawing. thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.