alexa, et Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
How have those controls worked for you ?
Best brands you have found, etc. ?

Was back in IL to visit 97 YO mother and nephew had replaced a few light switches with Alexa controls.
Mother has hard time getting around ( just shy of being in a wheelchair) and she a[[reciates the voice control capabilities.
Nephew even tied it into her TV, etc.

Found any cons? *

* other than recently revealed fact that amazon uses the controls to spy on private conversations !!!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Was back in IL to visit 97 YO mother and nephew had replaced a few light switches with Alexa controls.
Mother has hard time getting around ( just shy of being in a wheelchair) and she a[[reciates the voice control capabilities.

Found any cons? *

* other than recently revealed fact that amazon uses the controls to spy on private conversations !!!

A good way for technology to aid us.

*I read a story about that as well lately. The listeners had no idea who or where exactly the conversations originate from. Some were very disturbing to the listeners.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We have about 5 Echo devices and all sorts of WiFi switches and thermostats, the technology is great and pretty simple to use. This talking to your house stuff was science fiction when I was a kid.

kwired

Electron manager
A good way for technology to aid us.

*I read a story about that as well lately. The listeners had no idea who or where exactly the conversations originate from. Some were very disturbing to the listeners.
Probably same story I read just yesterday. Amazon admits to listening to what may be said after triggering the device with it's name (default is Alexa), but supposedly not listening in on devices for the sake of spying in any manner. What they are supposedly doing is listening to assumed commands and trying to use what they hear to help improve speech recognition of the devices. They don't know who or where they are listening to, but do have employees that admit to hearing some pretty disturbing things at times, but could do little about it.

They did say they have the ability to determine the serial number of the unit the information come from and can determine from records who purchased that unit.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.

Found any cons? *

Cons in what context? Helping to say what the weather is outside, or used as a life saving gadget? Human data telemetry is the future, but Alexa not necessarily the gadget of choice.

But I am curious, how does Mom use Alexa now (besides the lights)?

Alexa, and most IOT thingys, are widgets of intrigue. Very few useful IOT items out there. I want one of the mini robots so it can tie my shoes, answer the phone, let the dog in/out, fetch the paper, and scrub the toilet. The internet in general is boring and full of crap and hackers.

Probably same story I read just yesterday. Amazon admits to listening to what may be said after triggering the device with it's name (default is Alexa), but supposedly not listening in on devices for the sake of spying in any manner.
Amazon may not be "spying" on the audio, but that does not mean they are not collecting it. Be careful with dabbling with IOT things.
I did have a meeting once, not too long ago, FBI guy was telling the story, they were involved in a murder case. Some facts were not adding up, and they noticed an Alexa. They went to Amazon and got some audio needed to straighten out the case. Not 100% clear to me if the command "alexa" was used or not. Scary.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Lets not forget our phones and computers with cameras and mics. I know people who put tape over their computer lenses.

-Hal

Since we are not sure which devices have cameras and mics, the best security is to put tape over our faces.

AAuE7mDko-7p9xsRwe71UHvYemy_IsvJIqN84-xtPA=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Status
Not open for further replies.