"All Electric" Home with Instant Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
That would not be the correct approach. You have to take the electricity losses into account in this analysis because you are converting one form of energy into another, and efficiency is important.
No not at all. If your going to include distribution losses from one system you need to include from the other system.
My electric has a large % hydro generation here, and very little gas.
Others have nuke plants, wind, coal, obviously gas is not the only option for generating electricity.
Your comparing apples to oranges.
Tons of gas is just randomly burned off, or lost or leaks out of the system.
It seems like every other year an entire neighborhood outside of Boston, NYC or Philly blows up due to faulty old gas lines.
I cant remember the last time 15000 people needed to be evacuated due to a faulty electric distribution line.
Where as the gas lines to power plants are generally well maintained and have very little losses.
And we haven't even touched on propane, which is is never piped to residences anywhere, its delivered with diesel tanker trucks, so you have huge loses right there.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Ultimately, the homeowner only cares about $ required to heat the home.
Perhaps in Illinois thats what your customers care about, and possibly our parents generation, but not these millennials I am working for now. They are VERY concerned about the climate, and no customer of mine cares much about my opinions anyways, but they do sign some very BIG checks.

retirede

Perhaps in Illinois thats what your customers care about, and possibly our parents generation, but not these millennials I am working for now. They are VERY concerned about the climate, and no customer of mine cares much about my opinions anyways, but they do sign some very BIG checks.

You’re, correct. I should have said “80% of homeowners.”

And if I asked a millennial to quantify what they think the numbers are, 90% would exhibit the proverbial deer-in-the-headlights look. Most of them do what makes them feel good without any real concept of the fundamentals.

kwired

Electron manager
I think that can still vary to some degree from region to region, as well as with economic and social status. It also applies to other generations not just the millennials though maybe not at as high of a percentage as to the millennials.

Status
Not open for further replies.