Almost a little fire... What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Alright this is some of my work.... Back from the holidays and I get this one spung on me.... I'm sticking the neck out real far here so play nice, I just want to know what happened, and looking for a little help explaining this to myself. Before you look any further this install is only say 3-4 months old - yet looks like it has been developing over years - really rapid deteriation. (Also I did not take the pic's - as I was off - and am also wondering some more about the conditions here myself. So bear with me...)

Pic below is a box outdoors that feeds ~40+' of RMC up hill on a grade above this point, and obviously drained into the box with the finger tight seal on the bottom that I "thought" would drain what little water I "thought" would possibly make it here - but seems to sealed itself with corrossion... I will also say that I knew the conduit run would pick up a 'bit' of water (But not this much) so the conduit goes down below this box, where I figured it would drain at fittings - then back up and over and down to this box. (which is semi-protected on the side of the building) And yes it is fed with NM, as I did not want to drian into the house - kill me.... It is also sealed pretty well with silicone in the back...

Note the amount of corrossion..... 3-4 months... Paint removed????
IMG_4595.jpg

There is now a nice hole in the bottom of the box from what I understand.....

Sure - water in a box - what else is new.... The next part of this is the worrisome part. Almost 18 years at this and nothing like this have ever happened to me - and I DO NOT want it to happen again.... The NM feeding the box shown above goes up slighlty, then back down into the crawl space below where this happened. There wasn't much evidence of water here - but obviously so do to the green corrosion???? But it is possible that water capileried up then back down ~2' into the box where this short obviously occured. It's possible there was a knick in the isulation here - but you can't tell as there isn't much left....
IMG_4596sm.jpg

Apparently the breaker tripped, and was reset - who knows possible a few times before they called. Also there has not been much rain untill recently at which point it DUMPED hard off and on for a few days - 3 storms in a row.

Not sure if or how this was corrected yet....

Any ideas????? (other than I need a desk job.)

IMPO the splices in the first box became submerged cooking the NM and causing some sort of electrolitic reaction to the box finish - portions of the NM which may have been cooled by water drawn in by the craft paper, and the eventual short occured at the second box closer to the source as soon as it wasn't cooled by water. Either way I'm changing a few bad habits and not taking drainage so much for granted.

It is amazing what simple water can actually do.
It is hard to say from just your short explanation and the photos, but I am not surprised that water "gets where it gets".

I would not put it past your explanation that the water went from the bell box through the paper of the NM cable to the interior box (1900 box).
I would also not be surprised if there was a nick in the conductors at the location where the arcing was occurring. The moisture that "wicked" through the paper to that box probably created enough moisture there to cause the arcing to develop at the nick. Since the arcing is high temp, but low in current it took a little longer before the breaker tripped.
You are fortunate that the person resetting the breaker did not help to create an even worse scenario.

Moral of this story...water goes where water wants to go, even if we think it won't.

ItsHot

it happens

it happens

Take it easy! As Forrest Gump said, "it happens"!! We have all made mistakes! I have seen several times where entire electrical rooms were flooding from taking water through conduits due to different elevations. I have had similar mistakes working with mc cable. Using the red-devils, being careful with cutting etc., and at times you still have shorts! And I will not even go into Wiremold!! Also I might add that I am not a big fan of those nm cable jab connectors.

Krim

e57,
In regards to photo #1 , you mentioned that the box is sealed on the back. What kind of seal was used where the RMC enters into the top of the box ?
It looks to me like a water stain on the building just above the box to the left of the RMC. If the threaded casting was off just a little that would allow water accumulated on the top to seep into the inside. I typically smear a little silicone on the threads before tightening the RMC conduit completely and often apply another small amount afterwards in outdoor or wet locations.
The shorted wiring in photo #2 along with the green corrosion looks to me, as stated by Pierre, to have been a nick indeed in one or more conductors. I also agree with the wicking and discoloration theory Pierre had mentioned.
Carl

quogueelectric

Water is a sneaky foe

Water is a sneaky foe

This has happened to me on an exterior gfi once I didnt seal the top knockout and it filled the box with water almost to the top. Totally destroyed the gfi and the box I could not believe how much damage was done in a couple of months. W here i think water drainage will be a problem I now drill a couple of 1/4 " holes in the bottom of the box to insure drainage and seal the top and sides of the box with plumbing sealant. Never had the problem again. I can see the water line in the box just above the rx leaving the box. Then the water just funneled downnthe rx jacket like a straw into the house this is why the level did not go higher in the box it was draining into the house where the rx was probably skinned with a razor knife and the results of conductive water across the knicked conductors is what you see in picture #2. This is just my guess imho.

e57

On top of the obvious - what caused all of the corrossion? The green oxidization takes usually a much longer time to create. And the paint on the inside of the box... Some sort of chemical reaction? If it can melt paint, what does it do to conductors?

220/221

Water does serious damage to wp boxes. Seems normal.

The fault in the NM was probably due to a slice in the insulation on installation. We all know it happens, especially with 3 wire. A small cut may have never shown itself but compounded with the water shorting out the circuit outside it was just too much.

That's why we use JB's huh?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
although I can't read the specs on the box, it appears to be a standard size box and most likely well beyond it's allowable fill. Add to that a cable entering from the back and install your device,,again if the device is as large as a GFCI, there is no suprise that we have some "knicks" in a conductor. Press everything tight against the box and add a little water.
Presto !

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In no particular order:

The corrosion is aluminum oxidation, the rust is from the steel plate.

I always drill two 1/8" holes in the bottom of boxes, bodies, etc., and make sure enclosures can also drain.

I largely prefer PVC over metal when possible for outdoor use.

The NM clearly siphoned water into the J-box; 3-condunctor NM is hard to strip well.

Cast boxes using rear entrance and deep devices often don't mix.

e57

No device - the red's a spare. 1 ground + 5 #14 = 12 in a 17cu. Mullberry or Red Dot bx I can't tell either - but thats what is usually in stock.

Red Dot claims "Aluminum Lacquer" as a finish which has obviously disolved in the water. Why? Some sort of galvanization residue from the conduit? You can also see iron rust deposits far above anything that could rust in the box. Either way the box seemed to fill with a soup of disolved metals - steel/iron, and AL alloys, zinc galvanizing compounds and paint.

Also I usually do smear silicone at entries - can't tell if I did here... :confused: :mad:

stickelec

My unqualified and unsupported guess is:

The water was the Electrolyte, the Aluminum the Anode, the Copper the Cathode...nice battery. Electron-Flow deposited Aluminum Oxide at the point of the cut in the insulation until the conductivity reached a point the short occurred.

I don't think the insulation was damaged due to the chemical breakdown of the metals.

My guess is you could put a copper and aluminum wire in a glass of tap-water and see the same thing. The closer the copper and aluminum are to each other the faster the galvanic corrosion will occur.

bigjohn67

Seen it before

Seen it before

However, did you "crimp" the romex sheathing to cut the box in or did you use a razor knife and make a cut. I think what happened here is you used your lineman's to crimp the sheathing making it easy to pull off. This caused a small "cut" in the instulation allowing for an arc to happen when water was present. Thus causing the overheating and green corrosion. Green corrosion only happens where their is current flowing.

hardworkingstiff

bigjohn67 said:
However, did you "crimp" the romex sheathing to cut the box in or did you use a razor knife and make a cut. I think what happened here is you used your lineman's to crimp the sheathing making it easy to pull off. This caused a small "cut" in the instulation allowing for an arc to happen when water was present. Thus causing the overheating and green corrosion. Green corrosion only happens where their is current flowing.

I tend to agree that this is probably what happened.

e57

This would be a utility knife if anything... I go through ~ 1 blade per year only due to loss. It is usually only sharp enough to score NM sheath, and with a little bit of force score THHN insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.