Alteration or repair???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cola1481

I need an opinion. I have an inspector that wants me to completely change out a service and bring it up to code (looks like it was changed around 6-7 years ago) just because I replaced a cut load side service cable from the existing meter stack to the panel. He?s saying I altered the service. I say I repaired it back to its pre-existing condition. The question I have is as to whether I altered or repaired a service? My position is since I made no modifications or altered the system from what was previously there so it is a repair. All opinions will be appreciated. There is no definition in the 2011 NEC that I can refer to regarding this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The inspector is being foolish. Unfortunately there is nothing in the NEC to guide you on this. I would fix what I broke and call his boss and then perhaps go over his bosses head if necessary.

ceb58

I need an opinion. I have an inspector that wants me to completely change out a service and bring it up to code (looks like it was changed around 6-7 years ago) just because I replaced a cut load side service cable from the existing meter stack to the panel. He?s saying I altered the service. I say I repaired it back to its pre-existing condition. The question I have is as to whether I altered or repaired a service? My position is since I made no modifications or altered the system from what was previously there so it is a repair. All opinions will be appreciated. There is no definition in the 2011 NEC that I can refer to regarding this.
What is there to bring up to code? If you replaced the cable from the meter to the panel only, then there is nothing to do. Provided the cable is the correct size for the amp rating. Unless he can come up with a ligament code section to back himself up then give him the estimate to do the work.

James S.

In my mind it seems pretty cut and dry. Its a repair....and it seems kind of obvious. I agree with Dennis, it is probably time to go over the inspectors head.

growler

I need an opinion. I have an inspector that wants me to completely change out a service and bring it up to code (looks like it was changed around 6-7 years ago) just because I replaced a cut load side service cable from the existing meter stack to the panel. He?s saying I altered the service. I say I repaired it back to its pre-existing condition. The question I have is as to whether I altered or repaired a service?

What does it say on the permit? Work permitted?

If the service was changed out 6-7 years ago and was approved then how much would need to be changed out to bring it up to code?

Status
Not open for further replies.