alternate 16 volt door chime source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

Are standard doorbells which run off 16 volts acceptable to be used on an transformer putting out 19 volts? I was going to replace an existing silver door buzzer in an apartment building when i noticed one suite that had a standard 16 volt door chime. I know the client wanted something that didn't sound like an industrial buzzer that startled her when activated. The common transformer does not appear to have a multitap.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is it actually a 19 volt transformer or a 16v putting out 19 ?
My experience has been that if you actually check the chime you will find the actual voltage when it chimes will be close to 16.
My opinion, without accepting any liability :D, is that you have no problem.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My bet is if it is putting out 19V and you have a lighted doorbell button then the light wont last long. Change it out and see what you get. If the poco voltage is high that may be your cause.

hurk27

My bet is if it is putting out 19V and you have a lighted doorbell button then the light wont last long. Change it out and see what you get. If the poco voltage is high that may be your cause.

Why is it that those lighted door bell buttons seem to light the same brightness whether on a 6, 10 or 16 volt system? I would think that the inherent current limiting in the wire of a door bell system would some what protect the chime. electronic chimes don't seem to care what the voltage is, as they work on all systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.