Alternative Means Of Attaching Straps/Support for Raceway To Storm Shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

I have a customer who would like for me to install a receptacle inside a metal storm shelter however the manufacturer does not allow for drilling holes through the walls of the shelter.
And the homeowner does want me to spot weld anything on the walls as well. Would someone please suggest an alternative method for supporting 3/4" PVC to a steel wall? I only need 2 - supports.

Here is a link to the shelter.

Thank you,

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Don't extend anything onto the walls. I have a metal underground storm shelter.
On a storm shelter, less is more in my opinion. It's not like you're going to live down there.

I used the 3/4" threaded entry into the back of a 2g wp box for a GFI and regular receptacle protected by the GFI right at the entry location.
I wouldn't have even done that if not for the need of a small electric heater, maybe a light or phone charger if needed.

Probably should have opted for (2) 3/4" threaded entries if you're thinking about a Cat 5 or phone cable in addition to the power since you cant mix them with both with only one entry.
In my opinion, The more you put in it as far as Cat 5's or phone lines,the more you're inviting trouble into the shelter.

The jack and 4x4 blocks I have in it are the most important things to have down there in case something happens to fall over the door, and, always call someone prior to going in or down.

JAP>

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
One manufacturer is using magnets on commercial LED rack lighting reducing installation time, and are prewired. You see them dangling in the racks at Big Orange all the time! LOL!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Why do you have to extend the outlet beyond the entrance fitting?

Why are you having to run any conduit at all ?

Jap>

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I've worked with a few of these (Their HQ is just down the street from my son's school) and the idea is that you'll install a box on top of the threaded entry, not run anything across the walls. Most people leave a battery charger in there with a lantern.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I plan to mount a WP box directly on the 3/4” inlet on the inside of the structure. Then on outside run 3/4 rigid up wall and install an LB

And here all this time I thought you were running the pipe on the "inside" of the unit. :)

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.