alternatives for UG physical protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Is HDPE conduit approved for any kind of general electrical use these days? I understand the OP is looking for extra protection over already direct-bury rated wire. I see the stuff being installed all over on the roadsides. We've been using a vibratory plow lately in lieu of trenching. We glue together many sticks of PVC, make sure the glue is well set, and it works okay. I've been tempted by the HDPE stuff, though. It is not a recognized Chapter 3 method currently, correct?

[Edit: Should have looked first--Article 353]
haven't looked at 353 for some time, but pretty certain is still only for underground use.

kwired

Electron manager
With PVC prices thru the roof, I am looking at alternatives for physical protection of underground conductors. Lets say the wire is direct bury so it doesnt need to be any sort of NEC approved conduit. Lets also assume we are talking very rocky soil so just direct burying without any protection is not a good idea. Lets also throw in the option of "sleeving" whatever the stuff we have over the wire instead of pulling thru a made up system. For the sake of discussion say we are talking long runs. I have one coming up that is 1000', another is 2000'

Sand: Sand is a total PIA IMO and not a great option.

SDR-35 4" sewer pipe. A bit thinner than sched 40 but I think would provide plenty of protection. Cant believe how much cheaper it is that sched 40 elec conduit. lowes has it for $13 per 10 foot stick when bought in bulk. They appear to have good stock in various stores in my area. kinda overkill size wise for many things. Too bad they dont have it in 2 or 3 inch.

Any other ideas?
We have had and still have available at supply houses a thin walled PVC that comes in 20 foot lengths. It is not listed. Inspectors here do allow it but you must run direct bury rated conductor/cable through it. See it a lot on farms and other rural applications - particularly with long runs. The concept being it is primarily there for rodent protection of the installed conductors/cables.

We have had and still have available at supply houses a thin walled PVC that comes in 20 foot lengths. It is not listed. Inspectors here do allow it but you must run direct bury rated conductor/cable through it. See it a lot on farms and other rural applications - particularly with long runs. The concept being it is primarily there for rodent protection of the installed conductors/cables.
Yeah I looked at 353, it says for underground use only. Also it is required to be listed, so it would have to say ul-listed HDPE conduit on it to use under the NEC (unless of course we are just talking physical protection for direct bury rated wire).

kwired

Electron manager
We use the light weight DB conduit often enough Price has gone up 400% for 3" and 285% for 2", from the last time I bought either. Local supplier says they have 'some'.
I haven't needed any this spring, one my supply houses has plenty sitting outside though.

Been using cable in conduit for a couple years for most irrigation applications. Didn't need any this spring either but heard there isn't any left on common sizes typical around here and there is several months lead time on it.

I haven't needed any this spring, one my supply houses has plenty sitting outside though.

Been using cable in conduit for a couple years for most irrigation applications. Didn't need any this spring either but heard there isn't any left on common sizes typical around here and there is several months lead time on it.
Things are so wacky right now, you just never know about pricing availability. Many things are going up, but yet sometimes you find things that haven't, like I just mentioned in another thread how 15kv concentric neutral primary was actually cheaper than a year-and-a-half ago. I kind of thought it was PVC resin that there was a shortage of, not sure if that affects HDPE pricing too.....The price of 4in HDPE sewer and drain pipe doesn't seem to have gone out much, 4 in PVC SDR 35 sewer pipe is pretty reasonable and available.

kwired

Electron manager
Things are so wacky right now, you just never know about pricing availability. Many things are going up, but yet sometimes you find things that haven't, like I just mentioned in another thread how 15kv concentric neutral primary was actually cheaper than a year-and-a-half ago. I kind of thought it was PVC resin that there was a shortage of, not sure if that affects HDPE pricing too.....The price of 4in HDPE sewer and drain pipe doesn't seem to have gone out much, 4 in PVC SDR 35 sewer pipe is pretty reasonable and available.

I went to local lumberyard a few days ago needing a couple 2x8 - 8'. I told clerk "I probably don't want to know the price, but I need them" He looked them up and said they must not have sold too many of them lately as the price was actually pretty fair compared to most dimensional lumber prices. Think they were only 11.50 to 12.00 each, he said a 8 foot 2x4 is about that price.

I went to local lumberyard a few days ago needing a couple 2x8 - 8'. I told clerk "I probably don't want to know the price, but I need them" He looked them up and said they must not have sold too many of them lately as the price was actually pretty fair compared to most dimensional lumber prices. Think they were only 11.50 to 12.00 each, he said a 8 foot 2x4 is about that price.
For less popular items that haven't gotten a lot of turn around, could be we're just getting old prices for this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.