Altrenative to Split Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

As I was out of the trade for a few years - I'm amazed at how it's changed in the last 15 years or so. I see something "cool" just about every day.

I've got a 480 V run that goes to a JB just above the ceiling and then it's down to a disconnect. The disconnect right now is sitting up on a file cabinet in this new place I just lined up as an account. Guess the equipment manufacturer pulled a machine, but the guys just unbolted the disconnect and laid it up on th file cabinet. Saw that and immediately told the guy that was showing me around that he can't allow that to sit.

Question I have, is that in the JB I can see some plastic encapsulated "do hickeys" (I'm sure this gang will straighten me out on correct terminology for these rather slick looking things) where they spliced (junction) each leg. I'm looking at an ECM magazine right now, and they look very similar (but not exactly) like a PUSHWIRE connector by Wago.

When I last practiced in the trade, before my hiatus, I would have expected split bolts with duct seal, rubber tape and Scotch 33+ - but not the case.

Any one have any suggestions of what the various manufacturers are? I'm wondering if I can just take the side of the wires that go to the disco out of these "do hickeys" and tape them up and close up the box. They want to keep the run there for future equipment, but the disco teetering on the file cabinet has to go.

Thanks

alfiesauce

Does the actual connection looked crimped by a tool?
If so, then you won't get them off other than cutting them off.
If it's a polaris connector like mentioned above, then a screw driver or allan key will do the trick.
Regardless, you should be able to tape whatever is in there up nicely and leave it be in the closed jbox- also, disconnect it from it's power source and label it in there for future reference.

celtic

Did it look like these:
IPC%28combo%29.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IPC KUP-L-TAP[/FONT]

or this:
250866_121820075307_ExhibitPic.gif

Polaris Grey? Flexible Copper Wire Connector

Something different?

bjp_ne_elec

I looked at the Polaris link and it's not them. I didn't have my ladder, but could see the connector - but not close enough to see if it was crimped or a set screw. The way they looked, I would assume they're most likely set screw - just by the way the wire entered. It entered at right angles. I would think if they were crimped, they would be parallel to each other. Oh - and they only had two ports - so it looked like it was designed to take the place of a split bolt.

Last edited:

bjp_ne_elec

#6 or #4 was the wire size. Oh, and if I remember right they were either clear/orange or clear/red - so two tone. Wish I took a pic (but you guys know how bad a photog I am :) ) but I think the block was either orange or red, and the "bumps" were clear - but I may be wrong on this point.

Last edited:

ceb58

More than likely they have screws that can be loosened for removal of the conductors. You do know that we dont use cloth insulated wire any more dont you:D

nakulak

you might also look up on the ilsco site, they make a product similar to polaris called. we use one called cleartaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.