alumicon vs. box fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you have to count a alumicon in a box fill calculation if you don't a wirenut? I can't find any proof that you do, but I have a electrical inspector telling me you do, but they haven't showed me how or where to find it. This could be very costly for the customer if I can't proof it. Thanks.

quogueelectric

Why would you have to count a alumicon in a box fill calculation if you don't a wirenut? I can't find any proof that you do, but I have a electrical inspector telling me you do, but they haven't showed me how or where to find it. This could be very costly for the customer if I can't proof it. Thanks.
I cant help you with a code section but I would call the manufacturer about this one they will go out of thier way to help you more than anyone else. I have spoken with them on the phone and they are great they will help you. I hate small aluminum conductors. Not even worth the liability involved.

Last edited:

glene77is

I have a electrical inspector telling me you do

The inspector should be able to show you the NEC reference for his judgment.

Be polite, but do ask.

The AlumiConn is considered by UL to be a wire connector,
along the lines of the "wire-nut".
Wire-nuts are not counted as devices,
so the AlumiConn should not be counted, either.

Hope this forum is helpful.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Article 314 has yet to directly address this issue so IMO the inspector is incorrect. Until the NEC classifies an alumicon as something that would require additional conductor reductions in a box he can't enforce it.

glene77is

What is an alumicon?

This is a wire connector, with a base of some alloy, shaped like a square block with three tubular holes and three set screws, suitable for use in connecting copper and aluminum wire, with the clamping accomplished with three set screws.

Also it is pre-greased with silicon anti_oxidant to control aluminum oxidation.

In a residential size, you would insert maybe two aluminum wires and a copper wire, each wire going into one of three tubes bored into the base, and then secure each wire by the set screw for each tube.

(The manufacturer properly advises to abrade the aluminum wire
before insertion)

The attachment is like using a receptical with screw clamps.

A picture is worth 576 words.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here you go. It definitely takes up a lot of space in the box but so does a big blue and it does not have to be counted.

AlumiConn.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is a wire connector, with a base of some alloy, shaped like a square block with three tubular holes and three set screws, suitable for use in connecting copper and aluminum wire, with the clamping accomplished with three set screws.
Sounds like a piece of busbar to me.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does anyone think that we'll see a required conductor allowance for these things in the future? If a $.29 SP switch and a GFCI receptacle both require a 2 conductor deduction anything is possible. :rolleyes:

Karl H

I'm still amazed your inspector even checked for box fill. IMO your inspector
is wrong,but I have to hand it to him for realizing box fill is a very common
violation of the NEC.

Karl H

Does anyone think that we'll see a required conductor allowance for these things in the future? If a $.29 SP switch and a GFCI receptacle both require a 2 conductor deduction anything is possible. :rolleyes:

I really hope not. But I don't put anything past the CMP's. They, like us,
seem to have a lot of time on their hands to nit pick every possible
aspect that could be possibly be wrong with any electrical install.

Status
Not open for further replies.