Aluminum Busway Coupling with Copper Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajid khan

We have several aluminum busways feeding different loads through out the hospital building.
The busways shall be connected to different low voltage panels via Busway Flanges.

Our panels have tin plated Copper busbars and our busways are aluminum only without tin plating. Busway Flanges are also without tin plating.

Question is, Is it allowed to connect non-tin plated aluminium busway Flange with a tin plated copper Busbars inside the low voltage panel. I am worried because of the galvanic action of dis-similar metals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sajid khan

I have seen requirement in NEC Code for bimetallic lugs used in aluminium cable when connecting it to copper busbar in LV Panel.

The requirement regarding busway is not mentioned in NEC

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The manufacturer would know for sure. Why not call them?

That said, I wouldn't think it would be a problem, and I personally wouldn't worry too much unless there is visible signs of a problem.

Aren't tin plated bus bars made to connect circuit breakers with aluminum stabs or bolt on connections?

Sajid khan

That said, I wouldn't think it would be a problem, and I personally wouldn't worry too much unless there is visible signs of a problem.

Aren't tin plated bus bars made to connect circuit breakers with aluminum stabs or bolt on connections?

Manufacturer is not recommending for a bimetaic connection . According to manufacturer they will terminate aluminum (Not tin plated) with Copper Bar(tin plated) of Low voltage panel. But I doubt there could be a problem due to galvanic action.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
One of the common reasons copper bus is tin plated is to prevent issues with dissimilar metals, like aluminum.

Ideally the aluminum would also be plated, but there are lots of panelboards installed this way.

There are no unique requirements just because it is busway.

Sajid khan

One of the common reasons copper bus is tin plated is to prevent issues with dissimilar metals, like aluminum.

Ideally the aluminum would also be plated, but there are lots of panelboards installed this way.

There are no unique requirements just because it is busway.

I had an Experience with EATON Switchgear where we had tin plated aluminum busbars in low voltage panel. Outgoing Terminal of breakers with built-in lugs , I remember was AL- CU for cable terminations. I forget about the connection of breakers incoming terminal with busbar,May be Copper terminal of breakers with aluminum busway of switchgear.

Sajid khan

Another way to think like this is that the bolt on type breakers usually have silver plating at contacts terminals and when connected to aluminum busway will not cause any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.