aluminum residental wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

in my experiance with copper clad aluminum wire, it is usually improperly fused and the terminations at the devices are usually nicked and easily broken if moved, my advice is either plan on a complete rewire, or pass on the house....

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Len said:
If you have aluminum wiring it has to be replaced. The cost to re-wire a house for us is about $5K per floor, not including some patching and painting.

I have plenty of work for you. How soon can you be in Georgia?

nascardoug

Safety

Safety

I ran across something today that I would like to throw out to other electricians. This house was built around 1975 and has aluminun wiring properly terminated with CO/ALR devices. I only have one question, the wires that are tied together are twisted and taped. I know that back then it was common practice to do this type of connections. Does anyone see a problem with this, and if so what do you suggest to fix since all the wirenuts now state "copper to copper" connections only.

PS all the connections still look good with no evidence of heating.

dnem

nascardoug said:
I ran across something today that I would like to throw out to other electricians. This house was built around 1975 and has aluminun wiring properly terminated with CO/ALR devices. I only have one question, the wires that are tied together are twisted and taped. I know that back then it was common practice to do this type of connections. Does anyone see a problem with this, and if so what do you suggest to fix since all the wirenuts now state "copper to copper" connections only.

PS all the connections still look good with no evidence of heating.

"the wires that are tied together are twisted and taped"
only twisted and taped ?
It would need a wirenut or crimp. . If you can't find AL rated wirenuts, there are AL rated crimps.

Status
Not open for further replies.