Aluminum storefront receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How sturdy is the aluminum can it support an old work style box?

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Aluminum Storefront Receptacles

Aluminum Storefront Receptacles

The frame is only 2" wide. I haven't found a box that will fit. That should've been my question. Is there a box that will fit in a storefront frame.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
No. That's narrower than a receptacle. Depending on how it's supposed to look, handy boxes with EMT, Wiremold boxes and raceway or have the store front fabricator fabricate a trough or chase in which you can run your cable and cut in your boxes.

-Hal

Santa49

Occupation
retired
Looks like the design team needs to do some homework. Thank you for the responses.

For some reason this post caught my attention. I recall probably back in the late 60's or so we installed extra narrow switches and receptacles inside the door or window frames in office spaces and motel rooms. We would fish an MC cable in the channel as it was installed. Had to cut holes in the frame work to accommodate a narrow box (or sometimes no box at all). Despard is the brand name. Still call it despard switches but I believe Pass & Seymour makes them now. I think I still have some of the despard stainless steel switch & receptacle covers. A good "Googler" or 8 year old could probably them on line. (But not me)

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Despard, fit on a bracket and I think if they can be found the recept. Ungrounded and the bracket fits a standard box.

Status
Not open for further replies.