Aluminum vs Copper

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

With the price of copper so high, many contractors have been submitting on aluminum conductor feeders for panelboards and HVAC equipment. I understand that the AL wire has less ampacity so they actual size of the conductor would need to be reviewed, but are there any reasons not to accept AL wiring in lieu of copper? This typically comes up in the VE process.

rattus

bwyllie said:
With the price of copper so high, many contractors have been submitting on aluminum conductor feeders for panelboards and HVAC equipment. I understand that the AL wire has less ampacity so they actual size of the conductor would need to be reviewed, but are there any reasons not to accept AL wiring in lieu of copper? This typically comes up in the VE process.

It is somewhat difficult to make reliable terminations and splices with aluminum. The result--FIRE!

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
rattus said:
It is somewhat difficult to make reliable terminations and splices with aluminum. The result--FIRE!
Aluminum wire is a safe and proven alternative to copper. It is not at all difficult to make reliable terminations and splices. We do them hundreds, if not thousands of times per year, and have had virtually no problems for decades.

?round these parts you would be hard pressed to find a residential service
entrance or circuit higher then 30 amps that is not aluminum...inum.

davidr43229

I know on our Fuseblocks & Power DIstribution blocks we rate them for Copper seperately than alunimum.
As an example, on a standard 30 amp fuseblock is printed " Will accept copper 2-14CU or 2-12 AU. Some Breakers and fuseblocks say "terminate with Copper only"
http://www.bussmann.com/library/bifs/1112.PDF
Aluminum does NOT conduct the same as Copper.
Conclusion, before using Alunimum in place of Copper:
1. Check with the AHJ.
2. Check components, Switchboards, Panelboards to see if the UL Listing will accept Alunimum.
3. In boarder line applications, Alunimum may have too much heat-rise.
Just my $.02

iwire

Staff member
davidr43229 said:
I know on our Fuseblocks & Power DIstribution blocks we rate them for Copper seperately than alunimum.
As an example, on a standard 30 amp fuseblock is printed " Will accept copper 2-14CU or 2-12 AU.

They have to be diffrent, there is no such thing as 14 AWG AL to the NEC.

Some Breakers and fuseblocks say "terminate with Copper only"

Agreed and we must follow that info.

But in general AL is used in larger sizes without any problems.

electricmanscott

rattus said:

Absolute nonsense. :roll:

This debate is right up there with ground up or down.

Properly installed aluminum is just as good as copper these days.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
If you look around on the internet, there were some articles written having to do with the cost savings on large projects whereby the copper feeders were replaced with Aluminium (as the Brit's would say it). The cost savings was quite substantial as I remember.

As far as safe, well, I guess if the NEC says it's OK, then why should we question it.:-?

rattus

"Somewhat" not "Impossible"

"Somewhat" not "Impossible"

bkludecke said:
Aluminum wire is a safe and proven alternative to copper. It is not at all difficult to make reliable terminations and splices. We do them hundreds, if not thousands of times per year, and have had virtually no problems for decades.

Didn't say it could not be done, but one can easily do it wrong, and it was done wrongly before the problem was recognized and fixed.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
rattus said:
Didn't say it could not be done, but one can easily do it wrong, and it was done wrongly before the problem was recognized and fixed.

The primary installation problem was fixed was with "circuit" size conductors which is why the NEC no longer allows and manufacturers no longer make these small sizes.

Except on small gauge conductors, one major problem with alumium was its increased size, but even this went away when "compact stranding" came out in the 80's. I know that Square D's circuit breaker mechanical lugs have been dual rated for AL/CU for at least 30yrs.

Every supply house I have known has always inventoried aluminum for residential use.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
jim dungar said:
The primary installation problem was fixed was with "circuit" size conductors which is why the NEC no longer allows and manufacturers no longer make these small sizes.

I don't believe that there is a _market_ for these small size aluminium conductors (12ga and 10ga), and thus one doesn't see them sold. Furthermore Cu/Al rated devices are much more expensive than Cu rated devices.

But if you can get the stuff, and if your customers would accept the stuff, I am pretty sure that it is still perfectly code compliant to use Aluminium for branch circuit wiring.

Personally, as a customer: I would not want Aluminium for any circuit smaller than 6ga, and I would not want it in any direct bury situation. I would want anti-oxidant even if not required, and I would want all lugs tightened with a torque wrench or torque screwdriver.

-Jon

brian john

rattus said:

We perform IR scans and see as many thermal issues with a copper installations as we do aluminum (AL). When AL is properly installed and terminated IMO there are no problems with one exception, the MAC ADAPT type temination adaptors, Time after time we see these adaptors with thermal issues, not sure if it is the product, the method of termination or the improper hypress tool.

Oh and I my discussing feeders not branch circuit 15-30 amp.

Having said all this I used CU at my house.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Jim,
There is no NEC restriction on the use of 15 and 20 amp aluminum branch circuit conductors. It is only a marketplace issue based on the problems that resulted from the older small aluminum conductors.
Don

The only problem I can see is that the average homeowner has NO idea what they are doing while taking on home improvement jobs. Electrical Especially... If a home was originally built with AL, and a homeowner was replacing some form of Electrical equipment, light fixtures, rcpts etc. and replaced the equipment with anything that had Copper terms, they could easily burn down the home. I attended a presentation that was put on by a research rep for ALCAN, a large aluminum producer and distributer, his recomendation was that aluminun should be primarily used in Commercial/Industrial applications. As for the wire itself with new processes they were able to produce a wire called STABILOY, which is a wire that is so flexible and also sturdy, that I had a tough time bending it to its breaking point. It took substantially longer than that of the same size solid copper conducter. Though the wire sizes maybe larger due to lower ampacitys, a 200 kcmil stabiloy conducter is in fact easier to terminate than a 100 kcmil copper conducter...

Status
Not open for further replies.