Ambient Temp Correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil112

Hello all,
I've seen both types of PV designs - those that include ambient temp correction and those that don't. I can see it indoors where you have a steady state ambient temp, but I'm curious if others use it for outdoor conductors (AC specifically). It'd be tough to quantify ambient temp qualification, besides ASHRAE's 2% value.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(I misread the post and deleted my irrelevant answer. sorry)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I inspecting, I require the 310.15(B) (3)(c) & (B)(2)(a) Tables be taken into account on PV.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hello all,
I've seen both types of PV designs - those that include ambient temp correction and those that don't. I can see it indoors where you have a steady state ambient temp, but I'm curious if others use it for outdoor conductors (AC specifically). It'd be tough to quantify ambient temp qualification, besides ASHRAE's 2% value.

Temperature derating should be used in all conductors using the ASHAE tables. I use the 2% numbers for all outdoor conductors with the NEC specified heat adder for rooftop conductors in conduit per the 2014 code. Under 2017 I hear that the heat adder is going away, though.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Note the NEC doesn't specify where you get the temperature value, and only gives ASHRAE as a suggestion. Whatever your AHJ approves is okay.

But thanks for the link ggunn!

Status
Not open for further replies.