ammunition manufacturing and powder storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

msuitter

New User
Occupation
electrical inspector
Where in the NEC would ammunition manufacturing and powder storage be found. Any help and code references would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The closest the NEC comes to regulating it is that the processes involved justify a specific area Classification (or more than one depending on the materials used). The NEC does not tell you (actually a qualified PE, not and electrician or electrical inspector) how to assign that Classification, but it does put restrictions on wiring methods involving Classified areas.
You are within your rights and duties as an electrical inspector (working for an AHJ) to ask for the classification drawings and supporting documents.
That gives you a place to start.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The closest the NEC comes to regulating it is that the processes involved justify a specific area Classification (or more than one depending on the materials used). The NEC does not tell you (actually a qualified PE, not and electrician or electrical inspector) how to assign that Classification, but it does put restrictions on wiring methods involving Classified areas.
You are within your rights and duties as an electrical inspector (working for an AHJ) to ask for the classification drawings and supporting documents.
That gives you a place to start.
I spent 9 months on a project involving explosive compounds. It did not work that way. It was not classified as anything found in the NEC.

By and large the protection techniques involved were keeping it humid enough to eliminate any static electricity, and other techniques to eliminate sparks. Some of it involved the use of equipment listed as Class 1, but the area was not classified that way. Think nothing made of steel that would spark if struck, among other things.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I spent 9 months on a project involving explosive compounds. It did not work that way. It was not classified as anything found in the NEC.

By and large the protection techniques involved were keeping it humid enough to eliminate any static electricity, and other techniques to eliminate sparks. Some of it involved the use of equipment listed as Class 1, but the area was not classified that way. Think nothing made of steel that would spark if struck, among other things.
You start with lead floors, conductive shoes, and brass or bronze tools, and go from there. This is the type of facility where you can find all three classifications in use. Class I for nitroglycerin handling and dilution with ethanol and acetone, Class II for fines from powder coating and tumbling, and Class III for nitrocotton flyings. Everything possible is done to keep potential ignition sources outside the process areas.

I'd start with:

NFPA 495 - Explosives Materials Code
DOE-STD-1212 - Explosives Safety
ANSI A10.7 (1998) - Transportation, Storage, Handling, and Use of Commercial Explosives and Blasting Agents in the Construction Industry

I've used the DOE, not used the others.

(Yes, the ANSI might not apply, at least not directly. I'd still read it to see if I could adopt anything useful.)

Status
Not open for further replies.