Amusement Park Rides

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxslick

No doubt about that.

Our newest ride was a Corkscrew loop coaster and that was cracking the frame that held the motor and gear box for the lift hill regularly until I added some heavy steel.

I made up the parts and had one of our own welders, an ex Electric Boat submarine welder install them. He had to do some of the welds via a mirror. I am a good welder but would never do the welding on critical components.

A local So Cal park has an "Out and Back" single loop coaster that had a LOT of growing pains. In the first six months the track needed to be completely re-welded, the catapult launch cable broke-twice- and the control computer would frequently throw fits. My best friend worked there and relayed all these tales of woe, and he was lucky(?) enough to be one of the "test riders". I told him when they get the thing to run for six months without a major breakdown I would ride it. It did, and I did, it is a great ride.

Some years later I worked at the same park and got to see "under the hood" of that ride, it was fascinating. Some things that blew my mind were that the train had to be positioned within 8" when at the station or the ride would shut down, the catapult cable, simply from the bounce in the lower run, had cut a groove 2 feet deep into solid concrete, the PLC control cabinet was huge, the motor for the ride spun up a (IIRC it was) 50-ton flywheel, and to boot when the ride launched the catapult clutch made the most awesome moan/howl that would be a great sound effect for Halloween.

Sadly, when the catapult was rebuilt it no longer makes that cool sound, now it just grunts.

iwire

Staff member
Cowboy:
Can't speak for Bob, but possibly that Grade 3 bolt acts as a shear pin to prevent further damage to equipment?

I think you are on it.

The manuals were quite specific about hardware replacement, they would allow us to source the hardware locally but it had to be exact replacements, no 'close enough'.

I might have some manuals at home, maybe I will scan a couple of pages.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Cowboy:
Can't speak for Bob, but possibly that Grade 3 bolt acts as a shear pin to prevent further damage to equipment?

That was my guess too, but when I asked it I couldn't think of the word shear pin and "built in failure point" just seemed wrong.:)

Big tractors will have those built into the blade assembly so if you hit a big rock you don't tear every thing else up too.

mxslick

There is a website that compiles accident reports on amusement park rides..here's the LINK.

It seems as though the vast majority of incidents are directly or indirectly caused by human error...most rides appear to be safely designed and built.

I have followed that site for many years, and have noticed that the number of electrical incidents/malfunctions has declined.

76nemo

I know elevator mech's make very good coin, but what exactly do they test in their annual/semi-annual reviews? I can't imagine all of the testing they push in their limits to sign off on an inspection:confused:

Amusement park rides and permanent elevator installation app's are two different animals in my eyes.

I ask because I have absolutely NO idea what an elevator inspector has to sign off on before he permits it usable 'til next inspection.

I have worked as a ride op for a major park before, and I gotta tell you That the electrical for most amusement park rides (fixed in place) are really good. I actually help maintainence guys diagnose an annoying sensor problem. It got corrected that night and as far as i know, hasnt had that problem since. When i worked at the park, safety was my number 1 priority.

Conrad

bolt replacement

bolt replacement

For the most the easy way to think about it is "There is no free lunch", yes, a grade 8 bolt is stronger, but it is also more brittle. In most cases a grade 8 would be fine (or better) than say a grade 5 (most common spec'ed bolt). However above that "hardness" should only be evaluated by an engineer.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
"..But the car broke off and sent my kid flying half way across the park."

"That's right and I'm not even gonna charge you for that. You only paid to go around in a circle."

:grin::grin::grin:

: Tilt-A-Whirl

: Tilt-A-Whirl

I don't know which state you are in, but for New York, Code Rule 45 of the Labor Laws for amusement devices, references NEC 1999 Article 525. I am sure the Safety and Health Inspector for Dept of Labor would have been very interested in hearing of your observations. The number to have called is 315 479-3210. The missing dead front and working on the wiring live are violations and violations would have been issued. The code rule is being revised along with the reference to the NEC.

WorkSafe

This was at the Oklahoma State Fair (traveling bunch of Carny's). It was interesting to hear you guys' responses to this.

When you start talking about different grades of bolts, it reminded me of a guy who is being prosecuted for selling the Army bolts that he claimed were made to army mil spec but were actually bolts you can buy at Ace. These bolts were used to secure the rotor blades onto helicopters from what I was told.

Here's a link I found to the story:

http://www.military.com/news/article/man-sentenced-for-faulty-military-bolts.html

Last edited:

rt66electric

OK has ride inspectors

OK has ride inspectors

I have seen ride inspectors in TULSA, especially after an accident.
I was at the Octoberfest, Then same year an injury accident occured at the state fair on the "WILDCAT rollercoaster. I have noticed the octoberfest has the same carneys year after year, One of my hoobbies is to get my buddy to chug a pitcher, and then put him on a round-de-round ride. There are not very many occasions whereas it is socially acceptable to push a double baby stroller while drinking out of a pitcher and say "Hi hows-it-going" to police officer in this town..

Anyways I noticed all for the carneys were worried and looking over thier shoulder, and running the rides at slower than usual speed. and few rides not operational.

later I found the fat guy in a white shirt and clipboard giving the head carney lady(disgusted and overwhelemed) a pile of "infractions".

finnally about 10pm the carneys blew asigh of relief and proceeded to run the rides like normal

I beliver they are state officers and not local, and every ride must have a sticker.

Status
Not open for further replies.