Another 310.16 ampacity question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2X

I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I'll take it here.

So this is what I think I've learned regarding 310.16 so far. Please let me know if i have it wrong or if you can add some more info for me.

1) For small conductors I use 240.4 d for every day work so I don't have to worry about 310.16.

2) My receptacles are 60 degrees unless stated otherwise ? but for small conductors it's really a non issue because of 240.4 d ??

3) once i get out of 240.4 and go to the larger conductors i have to pay attention to the termination temp rating and the columns of 310.16. So for example if I was going to run in emt a 50 amp circuit out of a marked 75 degree panel into a marked 75 degree subpanel I would use the 75 degree column and I could run a #8 thhn. But, if I was going to run in emt a 50 amp circuit out of a 75 degree panel into an unmarked 50 amp receptacle, I would assume the receptacle to be 60 degree so i would go to T310.16 and use the 60 degree column and run a #6 thhn.

I know there is 110.14 (c) for my next hurdle but am I starting to get the hang of this?? Thanks...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
So far you have mentioned THHN and conduit. There are a few other things to keep in mind such as temperature limitations on conductors in liquidtight conduit and conductor temperature restriction of wiring methods such as NM and SE

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, you're on the right track. Your description is the same as Mike's graphic from the other thread:

6_15_34_3_2.gif

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's kind of funny that I have to log out to view this thread and then when I log back in I can reply but can not view it??
Next time, look at the top of the thread, right above the large bold title you gave the thread, where it shows the small blue open folder. See the blue: "Mike Holt's Forum > Electrical Calculations/Engineering"?

Click on the right-most blue text, (Electrical Calculations/Engineering, the name of the forum topic), and then your thread again. You should see what we all see, the last post, plus only you will have an Edit button.

SG-1

For the wire size in the example you could run the wire between two terminal blocks. They have temperature ratings of 105C.

I believe the cables between a transformer and switchgear terminals would qualify for the 90 degree column.

Industrial applications would use the 90 degree column the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.