Another DIYer at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtrak

A customer wanted an estimate for a new service and closet lights, she had recently bought the house from someone she knew (no home inspection). As we were looking over the jobs she stated that a friend had told her not to use the closet lights until someone could look at them.Sooo, I asked to see the wiring in question. Each closet had a porcelean fixture(bare bulb and pull chain) screwed to the wall (no box) and was wired from the nearest receptacle with speaker wire(clear mabe #18 ga.) all the wiring in the closets was exposed except where it went through the wall to tap into a receptacle. I've seen wiring that was in worse condition but I wondered to myself what type of person would do something like this and think they had done someone a favor. I also thought to myself how lucky we were to have codes and regulations. I can only imagine some of the work out there done by DIY's in locales where there are no enforceable codes. Thanks, just venting!!!

stud696981

Wow......think of the money they saved doing it themselves and using the bare minimum parts to get the job done.

I wonder if this had caused a fire if the home owners insurance would have covered this???

larryl

stud696981 said:
Wow......think of the money they saved doing it themselves and using the bare minimum parts to get the job done.

I wonder if this had caused a fire if the home owners insurance would have covered this???

not sure but, i dont think so,,,,

Sparky Joe

I just moved a panel for my cousin in his newly bought house with his brand new family(2 small babies). I don't know why this place hadn't already burned down. Nice new looking panel inside, but just the old fashioned meter socket outside. Before he moved in it was set up for an apartment in the basement with an electric range and dryer and with an electric range and dryer upstairs also. The panel was a nighmare when I opened it, but the scary part was the old 60amp aluminum wire was feeding the panel through main lugs with no over current protection on it whatsoever, oh and the lamp cords feeding bathrooms and SO cord feeding a sub-panel were all replaced.
You know you always do a job right for an average customer, but when you see that kind of work in a family memebers house it pulls at a totally different part of your stomach.
And they did have a home inspection, guess he didn't open the panel.

JohnME

I wont even hire a home inspector now, after I purchased my home I found numerous items he missed, it was so bad I called my realtor and explained my situation, they no longer recommend that company to do their inspections. I wonder how these guys can sleep at night charging $450 a wack for.... nothing!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
JohnME said:
I wonder how these guys can sleep at night charging $450 a wack for.... nothing!
Not for nothing. Every home inspector I've been called in after finds 'double-tapped' breakers, but can't see 200-amp panels with 60- or 100-amp service conductors and meter bases, or that no cable in the box has a cable clamp, or that there are no water or driven grounds, or . . . .

B

bthielen

How does this work in most situations? Is the insurance company bound to cover a loss if it can be proved the damage was caused by work that has not been properly inspected? I'm assuming areas where inspections are required.

It makes one wonder why insurance companys don't do more pre-insurance inspections so they know what the risks are.

Bob

haskindm

In most cases the insurance company must cover the loss regardless of the cause. If they can prove who did the work, they may be able to sue the installer for damages, but in most cases that would cost more than the claim. That is one reason that insurance rates are so high, we all get to help pay for the DIY's education.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
bthielen said:

How does this work in most situations? Is the insurance company bound to cover a loss if it can be proved the damage was caused by work that has not been properly inspected? I'm assuming areas where inspections are required.

It makes one wonder why insurance companys don't do more pre-insurance inspections so they know what the risks are.

Bob

My understanding is that the insurance company still has to pay out for any actual damage, but it is grounds to cancel a policy.

The reason that the insurance companies do not care is because the cost of meaningful inspections would far exceed whatever minimal finanical benefits would arise to the insurance company.

Most insurance companies do have some minimal review of houses before they offer to insure them. They look at age of the home, type of roof, local fire department, where the hydrant is, etc. The kinds of things you can get from public records, mostly.

The fact is that shoddy work just does not result in all that many claims, and home inspections are not especially cost effective at discovering problems that might lead to a claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.