Not open for further replies.

barbeer

Today I wear these-
3507.jpg

Tomorrow these! :smile:
2406.jpg

And always buy the footbeds!

tmbrk

My boots are made by Caterpillar. I remember them having an electrical rating up to 600 volts or something. The tag says "ANSE Z-41 withdrawn and replaced with ASTM F2413-05" whatever that means.:roll:

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
My battle with boots

My battle with boots

Wearing various Redwing EH rated Z-41's for years, but foot bed (inserts) wear fast causing flat tires (balls of feet get bruised). These foot bruises can happen over time, and take weeks to heal.

They want $25.00 for new inserts at the Redwing store, every 3-6 months. I did that once, then found a rubber flip flop (foot thongs) at the 99c store. I cut off the straps, trimmed to size, and whalla, this 99c rubber foam performs better than previous inserts at 1/25th the cost. No more bruises.

Short lived comfort is normal with any mass produced, man-made materials that breaks down with heat, moisture, and foot fungus. Engineered man-made materials may be impressive, but the Electrical Hazard (EH) rated Z-41's still can't remove heat and moisture or breathe well.

Imported knock offs have replaced Joseph Seibel, European, and Brazilian handcrafted-leather in my area, so the authenic brands are only found online, and fitting before purchase isn't possible. Perhaps merchants can't profit from old-cobbler leather like mass produced, modern textiles.

The Redwing store's careful fitting and lifetime service has worked for me by using 1) Austrailian Tea-tree oil to control foot fungus, and 2) special ordered Marino Wool socks (R.B. Heron) from Canada that provide extra cussion and whick away moisture.

At the end of the day my boots are soaking, so the insert must be removed to air out the boots over night. The socks are cold washed and line dried, but are wearable several days between, since they stay dry over night.

The price I'm paying can't be more than sending an impression of my foot to a leather cobbler. I'd be very interested in an all leather EH rated Z-41 that keeps my feet dryer. Problem is I can't search with google in foreign languages.

jdsmith

ramsy said:
Wearing various Redwing EH rated Z-41's for years, but foot bed (inserts) wear fast causing flat tires (balls of feet get bruised). These foot bruises can happen over time, and take weeks to heal.

They want $25.00 for new inserts at the Redwing store, every 3-6 months. I did that once, then found a rubber flip flop (foot thongs) at the 99c store. I cut off the straps, trimmed to size, and whalla, this 99c rubber foam performs better than previous inserts at 1/25th the cost. No more bruises.

Short lived comfort is normal with any mass produced, man-made materials that breaks down with heat, moisture, and foot fungus. Engineered man-made materials may be impressive, but the Electrical Hazard (EH) rated Z-41's still can't remove heat and moisture or breathe well.

Imported knock offs have replaced Joseph Seibel, European, and Brazilian handcrafted-leather in my area, so the authenic brands are only found online, and fitting before purchase isn't possible. Perhaps merchants can't profit from old-cobbler leather like mass produced, modern textiles.

The Redwing store's careful fitting and lifetime service has worked for me by using 1) Austrailian Tea-tree oil to control foot fungus, and 2) special ordered Marino Wool socks (R.B. Heron) from Canada that provide extra cussion and whick away moisture.

At the end of the day my boots are soaking, so the insert must be removed to air out the boots over night. The socks are cold washed and line dried, but are wearable several days between, since they stay dry over night.

The price I'm paying can't be more than sending an impression of my foot to a leather cobbler. I'd be very interested in an all leather EH rated Z-41 that keeps my feet dryer. Problem is I can't search with google in foreign languages.

I agree!! Be sure to post back if you ever find a good solution.

barbeer

I have found the footbeds to work for my high arches and as you say should replace them more than I do. Previously I swore by wolverines...something happened and I cannot wear them for them rubbing the top of my foot raw, it's like they shrank them down or something? Anyway, if you have a system that works...........

I have seen some guys that can have there socks bunched at the toe and it kind of freaks me out. I would and do go bonkers if my socks are even a little off.

JohnJ0906

barbeer said:
I have seen some guys that can have there socks bunched at the toe and it kind of freaks me out. I would and do go bonkers if my socks are even a little off.

I'm the same here. I will start to feel some huge object in my boot, and when I take off my boots to see what it is, I find a 1/2" chunk of 12 ga THHN insulation! Felt like a boulder....:roll:

One reason I stick with Red Wing, is that I find size 10 B boots hard to locate. :mad:

e57

I only brought this up - because I know many have never even heard of such a thing and wear tennis shoes on some sites, and any ol' steel toe on site requiring such - but have no idea that the actually is a rating required for our trade in terms of shoes.

Why bring it up now.... I had to do my shoe shopping after a 5 year old - well worn pair of Doc Martins (industrial) got to the point where they look so bad as I might be looked at funny. i.e. very well torn up... Only appearance wise, I wore out maybe 1/2 dozen sole inserts and funk has put them in the toxic catagory - but they still have sole! Composite cap, EH rated, slip-on sneaker design. Comfy! You could break dance in them - not kidding - I tried - but I never was any good at that.... I would say I'll miss them - but I figure they will be the "Garage Shoes".....

Anyway I just got my new pair(s) of Doc's, and they too are pretty comfy considering I am yet to break them in. And hope to put another few thousand miles on the feet.

e57

tmbrk said:
My boots are made by Caterpillar. I remember them having an electrical rating up to 600 volts or something. The tag says "ANSE Z-41 withdrawn and replaced with ASTM F2413-05" whatever that means.:roll:

I too have just found out 0 that the Z-41 standard has been replaced - (so the title of this topic is now mute - but the same....) and explains the hand write-out or what ever on yours.

http://www.professionalequipment.com/guide-to-protective-footwear/article.htm

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
e57 said:
just got my new pair(s) of Doc's, and they too are pretty comfy ..

Figures its from the UK, since only "Q" would care enough to make EH rated sneakers for Mr. Bond.

Not sure about fitting a shoe online, much less a re-enforced toe with no wide size options. Nevertheless, a very interesting shoe.

SiddMartin

djohns6 said:
Me too . Just got a new pair .

I've been getting the Timberland PRO series (the black pair, about $120?) for 4 years now and they are the best boot I have tried. I try to get a new pair every year (tool allowance pays for that) so that my feet are always comfy :smile: :smile: heard good things about Red Wing, anyone agree>

ultramegabob

SiddMartin said:
I've been getting the Timberland PRO series (the black pair, about $120?) for 4 years now and they are the best boot I have tried. I try to get a new pair every year (tool allowance pays for that) so that my feet are always comfy :smile: :smile: heard good things about Red Wing, anyone agree>

alot of people like redwings, and it may just be the model that I had, it seemed the soles were made from recycled pencil erasers and they wore down really fast, and left black marks on floors real bad. other than the soles, the boots were well made... they are good boots, but I would test them to make sure they dont leave black marks before I bought them again.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Red Wings only. They last so long that my customers get a big kick out of seeing the steel toes through the worn leather.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.