ANSUl micro switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
So fast food restaurant wants me to install a micro switch for there ANSUL system. I don’t work on these alot only one time. Seems like I can’t use a micro switch in this old setup. And if the fire department is requiring a micro switch they will need to have the old pressure switch redesign to allow the micro and that is something I should not tackle.
Any help on this would be appreciated.
E5B3FDE5-787D-4742-9FF4-312D86312AD4.jpeg
89FD0EBA-83D8-4980-809B-52D9B5F58DCE.jpeg

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would refer this to the fire system company that services the ANSUL system and hood. No way I would touch it unless the fire suppressant cylinder valve was safe offed first. Then you can connect the wiring to the switch.

And just from the looks of it I think it definitely needs attention. When was it last inspected?

-Hal

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Just recently the inspection business he hired turned him in to the fire department for no micro switch. I told him I don’t know why they did not fix this for you

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A single switch can operate one or more relays and/or contactors.

The fire guys need to determine whether the switch still works at all.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Reminds me of some of the kitchens I worked in (and had nightmares about) :)
I agree with others, from a liability standpoint I would not touch it unless the fire suppression company was involved.
The entire system looks shaky and IF t here was a fire and things didn't work I would want some other professional involved.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
If that pressure switch ( I think that is what that is) is still functioning. Do they need ato replace it with a micro switch. It’s probably an ahj call right.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I would refer this to the fire system company that services the ANSUL system and hood. No way I would touch it unless the fire suppressant cylinder valve was safe offed first. Then you can connect the wiring to the switch.

And just from the looks of it I think it definitely needs attention. When was it last inspected?

-Hal
I don't know about Oregon, but in NJ you need a license from the DCA to work on fire suppression systems, other than providing 120VAC if needed.

OK, I took a quick look, and it seems you must hold a Certificate of Fitness at least in Portland, to work on a fixed fire suppression system. I couldn't find anything else, so, technically you might be allowed, but I wouldn't if it were me and I was just a run-of-the-mill sparky.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
If that pressure switch ( I think that is what that is) is still functioning. Do they need ato replace it with a micro switch. It’s probably an ahj call right.

No, the pressure switch is fine if functional. Is it actually connected to anything electrically?

Also, was it required to be interlocked with cooking equipment when first installed? Idk where you are but in my experience and AHJ doesn’t just show up and demand them to bring it into current code compliance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No, the pressure switch is fine if functional. Is it actually connected to anything electrically?

Also, was it required to be interlocked with cooking equipment when first installed?
From my experience with fire-suppression systems, that switch probably only activates the exhaust fan.
Idk where you are but in my experience and AHJ doesn’t just show up and demand them to bring it into current code compliance.
Here, fire marshals do exactly that periodically. Much of my experience is updating the operation of existing systems.

Adding shutdown of the make-up air fan, appliances, and sometimes lights, a horn-strobe and gas-valve reset box.

If the kitchen has a mechanical gas valve, we have to add a thermostatic hood/duct switch and a ten-minute timer.

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Just recently the inspection business he hired turned him in to the fire department for no micro switch. I told him I don’t know why they did not fix this for you

Just a wild guess from looking at your pictures, he probably didn't want to pay for it (and everything else that needs to be done). Hence why the inspection company dropped the dime on him. :sneaky:

-Hal

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Inspection company is coming to safe off the suppression and will help me install the New micro switches. They don't have any licensed low voltage tech or they would do this the gentleman told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.