ansul system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done mostly industrial I am now in commercial and in a restaurant. I am not formiliar with the ansul system. I would like to know where to find information on it and if the code book tells you something about it?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: ansul system

Yes and no.
Yes in that the NEC will give you the wiring requirements to follow.
No on the specifics of the ansul system, some would be in NPFA 72 (fire alarm), and most in the mfgs instructions.
Of course 110.3(B) still has to be observed.

waj01

Check out NFPA 96

NFPA 96
Standard for Ventilation Control and Fire Protection of Commercial Cooking Operations

1-1.1
This edition of NFPA 96 provides the minimum fire safety requirements (preventative and operative) related to the design, installation, operation, inspection, and maintenance of all public and private cooking operations except for single-family residential usage. These requirements include, but are not limited to, all manner of cooking equipment, exhaust hoods, grease removal devices, exhaust ductwork, exhaust fans, dampers, fire-extinguishing equipment, and all other auxiliary or ancillary components or systems that are involved in the capture, containment, and control of grease-laden cooking effluent.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I'm not sure what type of information you're looking for so forgive me for being basic on this. An Ansul hood extinguishing system (in most cases) is a manually operated system used for grill and/or grease fires. The manual stations are connected to the discharge tank(s) via a cable and pulley system inside 1/2" EMT. There are no electrical connections required for that portion of the system. If you are required (by local authority) to have a fire alarm system triggered when the Ansul system is activated you'll have to ask the company installing the system to provide you with a switch inside the discharge head that is activated upon discharge. You may also be required (by local authority) to have the hood exhaust or ventilation fan(s) activate upon discharge.

If you don't get the answers you want in this forum I would suggest that you go to the AFAA website and log onto their forum. They have extremely knowledgeable people in that forum as we do here but they are focused on the fire alarm industry.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Finding out all the different AHJs that will have a say for your locality is important in order to get the list of requirements to be met by the completed cooking installation.

In my immediate area, all fuel and ignition sources that are under the hood must also be disconnected if the ansul system is operated. Electrical contacts are included in the package placed by the ansul system installer that are then used to control shunt trip breakers, relays, solenoid valves and the like.

Thanx for everyones help, I will do some more research and I will also visit NFAA website.
Again thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.