Any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsHot

he's good!

he's good!

480sparky said:
Junk falls into trash can. I prefab boxes in bulk out in my workshop. I have a dedicated station just for it. A piece of metal with two lots to match the nails. Slide the nails in, pull on the box. Less than 2 secs, the nails are out, and the box is against a bench grinder. A custom-made stop block keeps the wheel away from the box. Zip, Zip, the tabs are gone. As I set the box down, my other hand already has another box ready. I've timed it. 4-5 seconds per.

As for the screws, they go in my pouch. Along with wire nuts, buchanans, etc. It's not hard lining the screws up when you use the sleeve on a driver-finder.

Purchase screws? The drywallers donate 'em to me.
Ken is good! We've seen his pictures posted here of the log homes he has done! Have you really timed yourself on prepping boxes? You need to learn how to fish!:D

peter d

480sparky said:
Junk falls into trash can. I prefab boxes in bulk out in my workshop. I have a dedicated station just for it. A piece of metal with two lots to match the nails. Slide the nails in, pull on the box. Less than 2 secs, the nails are out, and the box is against a bench grinder. A custom-made stop block keeps the wheel away from the box. Zip, Zip, the tabs are gone. As I set the box down, my other hand already has another box ready. I've timed it. 4-5 seconds per.

Well, it's one thing when you have a jig set up to modify them, isn't it? ;) Even so, that's still shop time in my eyes. I'd rather just buy the One Box and call it a day. But to each their own of course. :)

stickboy1375

peter d said:
Well, it's one thing when you have a jig set up to modify them, isn't it? ;) Even so, that's still shop time in my eyes. I'd rather just buy the One Box and call it a day. But to each their own of course. :)

Isnt it a violation to have an exposed screw in the side of a box anyhow?

480sparky

ItsHot said:
Ken is good! We've seen his pictures posted here of the log homes he has done! Have you really timed yourself on prepping boxes? You need to learn how to fish!:D

Abostively posilutely. It's called benchmarking. Unless you truly know how long a given task takes, how can you bid it accurately?

I do know how to fish. I just don't care to. No offense to those who like fishing, it's just not my cup of tea.

peter d said:

If you're only planning on one log home, yea, go get the manufactured ones. But if you plan of doing anything more than once, pre-fab is the way to go. Again which is cheaper? A 14? box with 1.94? labor, or a 25? box with no labor?

ItsHot

code violation

code violation

peter d said:
Arlington One Box

608ewPOTYpic4.jpg
So these are a code violation?? When I first saw one at the supply house I wondered about that?? But it made me feel better about all the screws I have put in the inside walls of Carlons in old work!!:grin:

Brady Electric

Any Ideas

Any Ideas

I've wired allot of log homes in my time
Seems every log house is different in some way
Most have baseboards and outlets go in them, but I don't like to do that but it works.
On one home I had no other way to make it look good except to paint wire mold boxes dark brown to go with the logs
Outlets used short wire mold nipple through the floor and mounted wire mold box close to the floor on the wall
On switches run wire mold close to the trim molding with wire mold box at the standard height
Have also drilled holes up and cut boxes into half logs and used standard cover plates which made them flush and looked good
Hard to explain since every job is different but I try to just make everything blend in so not very noticeable
Another good thing is to work with the home owner as to where furniture is going and you would be surprised as to how when the home is finished most outlets are not seen.
Log homes are not easy but I charge about double to do one compared to a stick house to make it worth my time
In any case you need to work with the builder allot more
Semper Fi Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.