Any Solutions to running PVC conduit in a Curved path?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
gradual curve over a long run is easy. Can even do that to some extent with RMC, 1 inch of course would be easier than 2 inch.

I deflect last few feet of up to 2 or even 2.5 inch PVC maybe up to 5 degrees in underground runs quite often without heating it up to bend it. If having trouble keeping in place drive some stakes to hold it, it won't go anywhere after you backfill.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I see no mention of the heating blankets I have seen/used {well, I watched...} for bending PVC.

The picture of the open field layout he posted suggests there is sufficient room for bowing the conduit without resorting to additional elbows or heat to make tighter bends.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
hbiss said:
Sorry, but I can't tell the scale of the run, how many feet? And that picture looks like a farmer's field.

That don't change electrical theory in any manner. I run electrical lines across farm fields quite often. Might be a good idea to bury things deeper than code minimums though. Soil erosion over time and deep tillage type operations have a way of finding even a code compliant 18 inch deep conduit and damaging it.

cow said:
The picture of the open field layout he posted suggests there is sufficient room for bowing the conduit without resorting to additional elbows or heat to make tighter bends.

These are the reasons I pointed out the field. We still have no idea how long the run is though.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In this case, it might be better to assemble the conduit, bend it to suit the run, then trench to suit the conduit.

I agree just use straight sections, it will bend quite a bit. The key is to make it up straight outside of the trench, then flop it in the trench. Even 4" will bend quite a bit with all the leverage you have .

Status
Not open for further replies.