Any Washington State 09"s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
welcome to the forum. We do have a few members from the state of Washington. Do you have a particular question?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Just FYI for the members outside this state, the number in parentheses refers to a specialty area that the electrician is qualified to work. (01) is general, (02 is residential), and there are others. But looking a few moments at the state web site, I did not see an (09) designation. Please clarify the question.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
OK, I see that there is a separate list of specialties for contractors. But number 9 is for concrete. Now I am really confused. :?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
OK, I see that there is a separate list of specialties for contractors. But number 9 is for concrete. Now I am really confused. :?

Electricians who specialize in filling in the trench made in kitchens when adding an island. They subcontract to other less specialized electricians. :)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Washington State is the King of Electrical Specialties, seems like there are 14 or 15 certifications. Electricians are certified, contractors are licensed. There are no 09 telecommunications electricians, but there is an 09 contractor. So anyone can do telecom work (but need permits and inspection, and work for an 09 contractor). The reason why no 09 electricians is the telecom industry came to our state electrical dept in 2000, and said we need regulation, too much poor quality work. The telecom industry wanted licensing but not certification...they said if you require certification we will kill the bill at the state legislature.

Washington state 09 here you have to be licensed contractor, but also have a certified Administrator for Telecommunications. I think that is smart with a bunch of poor quality electric work in general in the area. I hold a masters in computer software engineering and a bachelors in electrical engineering have done residential and commercial wiring, also I design networks, security systems, automation systems and all types of other work as well. I got the 09 for a client just to be able to do the work with proper licensing etc. I think it is a good idea for the network side, as the main reason I get calls is after install from those of the 01 or other electrical licenses that are used to house or commercial style wiring.

Ultimately in Washington an electrician also has to be a contractor or have a contractor as hiring them, so you must be certified and as well as that have a licensed electrical contractor and on top of that have an administrator to check your work.

I am an administrator for 09 as well as a contractor and used to be a regular electrical worker too, but felt that when I moved here, the amount of requirements were a bit absurd as they are higher than that of doctors or medical workers. My wife is a medical worker and only requires about 1/8th of the hours and alike to be certified as the apprentices require here. The issue is that the state itself is money hungry and you have to pay to breath air or in general do anything ever unless you are poor or homeless then they pay you each month and cover your housing, bills, and give you a job as well as food.

There is a required test for the administrator certificate but not for contractor, but to be that contractor you have to list an administrator on your application. So really it is a certified specialty just like the rest, only we have to carry a bond and insurance but the electricians only need a bond...

Also being this is an electrical board site I would say he meant Electrical Contractor 09, but being that I am from here that is obvious to me, when I first heard of that I was asking myself if I should move, but my kids like it here so... in a like another 5 years I can leave. lol

What is your main question?

Status
Not open for further replies.