Any way to look up a UL 'file' without paid subscription?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Greetings all I remember years ago I could navigate to ul.com and look up 'files' for free.
I learned from you guys on here how to view standards with 'free access'
I have not done it in a while and it appears now one needs to pay $19/month to look up 'files'?
Thanks in advance

The site i am looking at is
I think the file # I am after is E131145

For this breaker:

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
You can get a free productIQ account, which I have. Searching for your file number gets me to the page excerpted below. The "UL Confirmation Letter" link tells me I need an upgraded account to access it; not sure what content that would provide.

Cheers, Wayne

Screenshot 2022-09-16 091806.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Things may have changed but the last time I had a discussion with a UL rep on "universal breakers" the only acceptable ones were those listed by the panel manufacturer or "replacements" listed for a specific model of panel as shown on an accompanying list.

For example, Eatons replacement breakers chart shows: "See compatibility chart inside each classified breaker box for list of the approved panel installations."

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
You can get a free productIQ account, which I have. Searching for your file number gets me to the page excerpted below. The "UL Confirmation Letter" link tells me I need an upgraded account to access it;
Yeah same here hence the question, I remember one used to be able to access the 'file' for free.

Things may have changed but the last time I had a discussion with a UL rep on "universal breakers" the only acceptable ones were those listed by the panel manufacturer or "replacements" listed for a specific model of panel as shown on an accompanying list.

For example, Eatons replacement breakers chart shows: "See compatibility chart inside each classified breaker box for list of the approved panel installations."
Yeah thanks these are listed "replacements" for many obsolete interchangable panels, hence why I'd like toe see the UL file on them.
The company Connecticut Electric has apparently licensed Siemens breakers and paid for the testing, the package contains a Siemens breaker and a sheet of instructions as to which panels it can go in.

Attachments

• Siemens_50A_2pole_additional-classification.jpeg
    Siemens_50A_2pole_additional-classification.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 13

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I've dealt with connecticut electric, id say theyre pretty legit.
Yeah their stuff is fine, I just have two inspectors that dont really like any classified breakers, so having some thing direct from UL would help.
Said inspectors are both in small rural areas that do not pay for the UL service that now charges a fee.
ETL does not charge a fee for the same info

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have not talked to anyone at UL in a long time. I know the times I have talked to them they said there is not much info thy can provide since the files are "private" so I need to talk to the manufacture.

I have never been a fan of clasified breakers when I can get OEM breakers. I know in the past several jurisdictions around me say they will not accept classified breakers. I don't where they stand now but since I don't use classified breakers I have not checked with them.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Well as an update I contacted the manufacturer directly, and they said they quit using UL and switched to ETL. Turns out ETL is cheaper and also does not charge for the online access.

Status
Not open for further replies.