Anybody else going out broke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

We were fat, lazy, and stupid in this country, this will make our economy stronger.

They do say " whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger" but I knew a guy that got kicked in the head by a horse and it just turned him into a vegetable.

macmikeman

In January of 2011 the new tax rates (thanks to a certain new health insurance for everybody law) kicks in. This will choke the economy. If you think now is bad, remember then what macmike said now. Now is nothing compared to what is coming our way starting this winter.

Strahan

Anyone in my area looking for a job as an industrial electrician? Send me a PM. Good pay good benefits. We have been looking for some time now. The last two guys flopped. Just can't seem to find qualified individuals.

zappy

Slow here too

Slow here too

I think people are trying to save money. So you need to think of ways we can help them save money. "Sir, in the long run this is going to save you money" Installs. Like solar etc.

IrishRugger

No doubt this is a scary time for many, myself included. After a busy last year that crept a little into this this year due to a lack of work I was forced to look hard into the business. I poured over my books and looked at my spending and my billing procedures. This lul gave me the oppurtunity to change the way I do things. It gave me a chance to practice salesmanship.

It's still slow as of now although soon I will start on a large custom home that should keep me busy for a while.

I truly belive that durung difficult times a persons faith in God has a chance to grow and that is a big part of being a sucess. Faith in God is not going to make all the bad things go away but it is going to help in responding to certain situations in the appropriate manner.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Even though we are still thriving we have leanered we were sloppy and have used this recession to make oursleves better. I think economic downturns like this are the "evolution of business", making us stronger. We were fat, lazy, and stupid in this country, this will make our economy stronger.

It might, if businesses are allowed to fail and new businesses allowed to pick up the pieces.

That's not how our government is reacting though to the crisis. Government thinks it can tax, spend, and regulate its way out of the mess it created by taxing, spending, and regulating.

growler

That's not how our government is reacting though to the crisis. Government thinks it can tax, spend, and regulate its way out of the mess it created by taxing, spending, and regulating.

I think it's even worse than that. The government is running out of ways to fund their spending ( more debt ) so now they are concentrating more on just taxing and regulating.

I was reading an article on the similarity between our failing system and the Russian economy right before the fall of the Soviet Union and it's remarkable just how similar they are. The only difference I see is that the Russians were used to hard living and we Americans have been spoiled.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Personally, if I were going I'd take a boat or a plane, but I guess if you catch the tides right you might be able to walk

Roger

LMAO

Edit: To the OP:

Well, if my story is any indication, if you have no business sense your company will die. Know when to say when, don't sink your family out of stupid pride.

Fortunately, some of the big boys are well entrenched, and I managed to get my old job back bending pipe, for which I am indelibly grateful.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Personally, if I were going I'd take a boat or a plane, but I guess if you catch the tides right you might be able to walk
Okie-dokie. I guess I asked for that. :)

I was thinking more of financially speaking. If I have to go overseas to work, I certainly can't afford to get there.

electricmanscott

Where are all the guys saying "raise your rates" and "I don't start my truck for less than $150.00" and "Don't cut your price just to stay busy" and blah blah blah... :roll:

electricmanscott

LOL, you go Scott! :grin:

:D

I got my ass whipped here over the last year and a half for promoting working for less than you normally would or would want to just to stay busy. I did it and it kept me afloat. All of my bills have been paid on time and by all I mean most. I might not have been paid personally but I stayed alive. Bringing in just enough to cover costs and stay afloat is always going to be better than bringing in nothing.

Things are better now and looking up. Where it goes from here who knows. Well I know some of you here think you know but that's another story. :D

Besides the fact that I am working almost everyday and money is starting to flow, I have another sign that things are getting better. A woman called me a "theif" recently when I priced out some work for her. Clear evidence that my pricing is back where it should be.

IrishRugger

:D

I got my ass whipped here over the last year and a half for promoting working for less than you normally would or would want to just to stay busy. I did it and it kept me afloat. All of my bills have been paid on time and by all I mean most. I might not have been paid personally but I stayed alive. Bringing in just enough to cover costs and stay afloat is always going to be better than bringing in nothing.

Things are better now and looking up. Where it goes from here who knows. Well I know some of you here think you know but that's another story. :D

Besides the fact that I am working almost everyday and money is starting to flow, I have another sign that things are getting better. A woman called me a "theif" recently when I priced out some work for her. Clear evidence that my pricing is back where it should be.

I am happy things worked out for you but there is nothing wrong with expecting to be paid what you are truly worth. I think that there are those on this forum who agree with me. Keeping your rates at level that satisfies overhead and presents a profit only keeps the integrity of our profession intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.