Anyone ever see this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

200a meter socket. Out of load side lugs and into an ilsco connector and then out of ilsco to disconnects.

I'm assuming you mean coming out of a single lug, then tap into a polaris tap going to the disconnects?
Can't say I ever seen it, but I don't necessary see it as wrong.
Not sure how many wires are coming out of the tap, but I think 2-3 wire lugs are cheaper than polaris taps.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Knowing how small meter enclosures are I would wonder if the splices/extra conductors would over fill the space in the meter enclosure.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
200a meter socket. Out of load side lugs and into an ilsco connector and then out of ilsco to disconnects.
I have seen it, and have done it.

Knowing how small meter enclosures are I would wonder if the splices/extra conductors would over fill the space in the meter enclosure.
Well I don't know if overfills the space officially. No one ever tagged me on it.

Usually the need for the extra set of conductors was to feed a separate structure so one set of the conductors was smaller. Still it is not something you would want to do on a cold day. I have an old Klein wire bending tool that helped a lot. Blunt objects, like a single jack sledge, or a four foot piece of 2x4 to beat on the wires might be needed.

I can only remember one time that I needed a helpers foot, pushing on the dead front, so I could get the screws back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.