Anyone familiar with NC Alarm Employee Registration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uptownone

I have received a job offer from a company in Raleigh, NC to install security alarms. I don't currently work in the alarm industry, but a related low voltage field. . I understand the process by which a company registers an employee. My question is in regards to the background check(s).

I am currently 32 years old. When I was 23 (9 Years Ago), I was convicted of 1 count of mail fraud. The circumstances leading to it are neither here nor there. It is what it is. This occured in a different state. NC requires a local background check for the past 4 years, no problem there. I'm assuming they also send them to the SBI for a state-wide check. Again, no problem there. Not so much as a speeding ticket since the 1 infraction.

My question is, will I be precluded from being licensed as an alarm installer in the state of NC? I don't want to waste my time or the company looking to hire me if it's going to be declined for cause regardless. I tried asking the licensing board, and they were vague and wouldn't take a stance one way or another without going through the process.

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

G._S._Ohm

Companies want you to come clean so that they can use it against you if they later need to or want to. If you make or save the company money, they will keep you.

Fraud is not much punished. For 20,000 inmates in MD prisons only 40 are there for fraud.

Generally there has to be a nexus between a behavior problem and a job. A child molester should not work in a day care center but he or she can certainly bend sheet metal. Probably a thief cannot install alarms.

I read of a strange case of a woman who worked on submarines and was an ideal employee. But. . .she got too fat to fit through the openings so they had to fire her.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Companies want you to come clean so that they can use it against you if they later need to or want to. If you make or save the company money, they will keep you.
This is not a case of a company wanting it, it is a state requirement and I think a TWIC is required as well in some cases.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
This is not a case of a company wanting it, it is a state requirement and I think a TWIC is required as well in some cases.

Roger

Same here in Mass, to touch security systems we need a state issued S license and they do a background check.

G._S._Ohm

Possibly the licensing board rules and regs are posted somewhere and the OP can do a quick search to see if he will be outright disqualified. If this mail fraud is a gray area I guess he will have to do the whole nine yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.