Anyone familiar with SMA Sunny portal and energy app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say you set up a PV system in Sunny portal for web monitoring at some significant period after the inverters were commissioned. I can't get Sunny portal to show any history before the sunny portal account was created. If I log directly into the inverters, they have all the data starting at the time the inverters were commissioned. Is it possible to get Sunny portal to show this "old" data history? I can't figure it out.

Thanks, I did see that article. It kinda almost answers the question, but not quite. I'm not using sunny home manager, and not even sure what it is.

Retrofitting of an existing system (e.g. Webconnect) with Sunny Home Manager is not possible. A new Sunny Portal system must be created with the Sunny Home Manager, in which the data of the components is recorded from this point onwards. The data in the previous system remains intact and can be viewed as history. It is not possible to transfer the data to the Sunny Home Manager system.

cadpoint

Gezz, everything is becoming so proprietary.

I know my EE friend can log in and see (I'll assume) all his Solar projects... I guess that will be a point of conversation the next time we talk
& I pick up my Super Bowl KC Chiefs hat!

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
No, the legacy sunny portal only shows the data from when you created the site and associated the inverter to the site, in my experience. Also, as an aside, there are two SMA monitoring portals. For Sunnyboy inverters, like residential, they use the Sunny Portal. For EnnexOS devices, like the SMA Datamanager M, they use the EnnexOS Sunny portal. I am not sure if the EnnexOS portal acts the same way, I always commissioned the portal right after the inverters.

No, the legacy sunny portal only shows the data from when you created the site and associated the inverter to the site, in my experience. Also, as an aside, there are two SMA monitoring portals. For Sunnyboy inverters, like residential, they use the Sunny Portal. For EnnexOS devices, like the SMA Datamanager M, they use the EnnexOS Sunny portal. I am not sure if the EnnexOS portal acts the same way, I always commissioned the portal right after the inverters.
Thanks. Not sure which portal I am using......the web address is sunnyportal.com, but the main page does say "powered by ennexOS" in small letters at the top.

So are you pretty sure there is no way to import previous data? I mean have you ever specifically looked into it or talked to SMA about it? Seems like a pretty big oversight to not be able to see the entire history stored in the inverters.:unsure:

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Is the URL ennexos.sunnyportal.com/.... ? Or just sunnyportal.com/.... ? It looks like at some point they added the "powered by ennexOS" text to the classic Sunny Portal. Not sure why, because they are different. I click on that text hyperlink and it takes me to the ennexOS portal that has the systems I installed with the Datamanager M, which is an ennexOS device. A long time ago I was told all SMA monitoring was eventually going to be moved from the classic portal to the ennexOS portal, but I think they bailed on that effort, and legacy devices will die on the classic portal.
Here is a recent knowledgebase port saying that devices that have webconnect or the cluster controller only can be migrated:

I have not found it easy to find knowledgable people to talk to about this kind of thing. I think they still do most of this development in Germany. They seem to be a slow moving old company, unfortunately. I opened a case for a bug in Modbus TCP issue in their Datamanager M, and it took over a year and a half for them to come out with a fix (supposedly), and by then I was no longer working with the customer to integrate the device with their building control system. That is why SolarEdge has taken so much market share, they develop and improve faster and have better training and tech support resources.

Is the URL ennexos.sunnyportal.com/.... ? Or just sunnyportal.com/.... ? It looks like at some point they added the "powered by ennexOS" text to the classic Sunny Portal. Not sure why, because they are different. I click on that text hyperlink and it takes me to the ennexOS portal that has the systems I installed with the Datamanager M, which is an ennexOS device. A long time ago I was told all SMA monitoring was eventually going to be moved from the classic portal to the ennexOS portal, but I think they bailed on that effort, and legacy devices will die on the classic portal.
Here is a recent knowledgebase port saying that devices that have webconnect or the cluster controller only can be migrated:

I have not found it easy to find knowledgable people to talk to about this kind of thing. I think they still do most of this development in Germany. They seem to be a slow moving old company, unfortunately. I opened a case for a bug in Modbus TCP issue in their Datamanager M, and it took over a year and a half for them to come out with a fix (supposedly), and by then I was no longer working with the customer to integrate the device with their building control system. That is why SolarEdge has taken so much market share, they develop and improve faster and have better training and tech support resources.
Do you RL I have been using is definitely just sunnyportal.com

Yes definitely agree SMA has some catching up to do and tech support is quite awful.

I've been playing around with it a bit. Note I do not have permanent internet access at my solar site yet, so I only get Data when I go down and turn on the Wi-Fi hotspot on my phone. It also seems like it does not provide data for a day there was no internet access, in other words it won't update a previous day.
Just seems like this app and portal is very poorly done.

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
I've been playing around with it a bit. Note I do not have permanent internet access at my solar site yet, so I only get Data when I go down and turn on the Wi-Fi hotspot on my phone. It also seems like it does not provide data for a day there was no internet access, in other words it won't update a previous day.
Just seems like this app and portal is very poorly done.
What inverter model do you have? I had a SB3000 with the Sunny Webbox on my original system, and the Webbox logged data from the inverter and would upload it later if there was a disruption in internet service. Whatever you have onsite would have to have storage / buffer capability to save data for the length of time that the internet connectivity was down. Not really related to the app or portal, it is more of a hardware capability issue.

What inverter model do you have? I had a SB3000 with the Sunny Webbox on my original system, and the Webbox logged data from the inverter and would upload it later if there was a disruption in internet service. Whatever you have onsite would have to have storage / buffer capability to save data for the length of time that the internet connectivity was down. Not really related to the app or portal, it is more of a hardware capability issue.
I have SB-7.0 US-40.

But the inverter still saves the data so it seems like it is the fault of the app/portal/programming if it can't retrieve missing data from the inverter.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
I have SB-7.0 US-40.

But the inverter still saves the data so it seems like it is the fault of the app/portal/programming if it can't retrieve missing data from the inverter.

You’re using Sunny Portal. SMA Data Managers use the other commercial portal. Both use EnnexOS.

You won’t get any data from prior to the account creation, it’s a bummer feature.

Watch out, those inverters are notoriously difficult to keep connected by wifi. They disconnect all of the time and don’t auto reconnect.

The app is marginal also.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Do you have to subscribe to "Data Managers" throw some money at them, that usually will cure the problem !

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
Do you have to subscribe to "Data Managers" throw some money at them, that usually will cure the problem !

Negative, the Data Manager is a DAS (data acquisition system) and is a physical device that can monitor up to X amount of inverters and hardware via RS485 or Ethernet.

Status
Not open for further replies.