Anyone have a link to insulation codes (XHHW, TW, RH, THHN etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbaumer

I could swear I saw a single table that showed several insulation types with a legend to decipher the codes. Looked around the web a bit and could not find it.

It was something like R - Rubber, N - Nylon Jacket, T - thermoplastic etc. on the legend then had data about various types.

Anyone know where to find such a table?

thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
Table 310.13 :smile:

I almost posted that but I think he wants to know what the letters stand for.

H= Heat, R=Rubber, T=Thermoplastic, W= Wet, S= Silicone? , M= Mineral?

Can anyone add to this

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
Can anyone add to this

Well yes, as far as I can tell 310.13 will tell you all that if you read the descriptions.:smile:

I am not saying there are not more direct sources but with a little imagination it can be found in the NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LarryFine said:
M = machine, N = nylon.
Yeah that's what I thought but 310.13 shows MI as Mineral insulation (magnesium oxide). Seems like it is for temperatures above 90C.

I thought maybe it meant mineral but I believe you are right. See Bob-- 310.13 is not ll that intuitive....:grin:

bbaumer

310-13 doesn't show all of what I am after as far as I can see.

Yes, I'd like to know what all the letters stand for.

Here's what I THINK some mean:

T - Thermoplastic
S - ? (silicone?)
N - Nylon jacket
R - Rubber
M - Moisture? Motor? Machine? Mineral?
ML - Motor lead?
W - Wet
No H - 60C
H - 75C
HH - 90C
X - Crosslink polyethylene? ???
P - Paper
U - Underground
SE - Service entrance
LC - Lead Covered
I - Insulated

I think you have to consider some letters as two-letter codes, for instance MT/MC/MI, since M could be either metal or machine. Also that a letter might have one meaning in the first position and others later in the code.

S- I've always heard that as "Stage", it's not silicone.
J- Junior (thinner insulation)
O- Oil reisitant
OO- Really oil resistant :D
A- Asbestos

bbaumer

zbang said:
I think you have to consider some letters as two-letter codes, for instance MT/MC/MI, since M could be either metal or machine. Also that a letter might have one meaning in the first position and others later in the code.

S- I've always heard that as "Stage", it's not silicone.
J- Junior (thinner insulation)
O- Oil reisitant
OO- Really oil resistant :D
A- Asbestos

I was thinking S was silicone as in SRML - Silicone Rubber Motor Lead

bbaumer

Chamuit said:

That gets a lot of them. Thanks for the link. Here's a cut and paste from the link:

Building Wire and Cable Designations

by Technical Support

Technical Information & Technical Bulletins

THW-2: Thermoplastic Insulation (usually PVC), Heat Resistant (90?C rating), suitable for Wet locations.

THWN-2: Same as THW except Nylon jacket over reduced insulation thickness. Also rated THHN.

THHN: Thermoplastic Insulation (usually PVC), High Heat Resistant (90?C rating), dry locations only, Nylon jacket. Also rated THWN.

TFFN: Thermoplastic Insulation (usually PVC), Flexible Fixture wire, Nylon jacket. Also rated MTW and AWM.

TFN: Thermoplastic Insulation (usually PVC), Fixture wire, Nylon jacket. Also rated AWM.

XHHW-2: Cross-linked Polyethylene Insulation (X) High Heat Resistant (90?C rating) for Wet and dry locations.

RHH: Rubber Insulation (we actually use cross-linked polyethylene because it qualifies for rubber), High Heat Resistant (90?C rating) for dry locations only.

RHW-2: Rubber Insulation (again, cross-linked polyethylene is used by most manufacturers), Heat Resistant (90?C), Suitable for Wet locations.

USE-2: Underground Service Entrance. Most utilize cross-linked polyethylene insulation rated for 90?C in direct burial applications. Product is usually triple rated RHH?RHW?2-USE-2.

MTW: Machine Tool Wire. Usually thermoplastic insulation (PVC) or thermoplastic insulation with nylon jacket. Most MTW is rated 60?C. Southwire's copper type THHN is also rated MTW.

AWM: Appliance Wiring Material. Usually thermoplastic insulation (PVC) or thermoplastic insulation with nylon jacket. Southwire's stranded copper type THHN in AWG sizes 14 through 6 is also rated AWM. As AWM, the product carries a 105?C rating.

NM-B: Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable. The "B" denotes that individual conductor insulation is rated 90?C; however, ampacity is limited to that for a 60?C conductor (see NEC Section 336-26, 1999 edition). Thermoplastic (PVC) conductor insulation-nylon jacketed, with overall PVC cable jacket.

UF-B: Undergound Feeder. The "B" denotes that individual conductor insulation is rated 90?C; however, ampacity is limited to that for a 60?C conductor (see NEC Section 339-3(a)(4), 1999 edition.) Thermoplastic (PVC) conductor insulation-nylon jacketed, with overall PVC cable jacket.

SEU: Service Entrance Cable, Unarmored. Usually type XHHW insulated conductors with overall PVC jacket. As such, the cable is rated for 90?C dry, 75?C wet locations. Another school of thought is the "U" in the designation denotes the shape of the cable (if you look at the end, it resembles a closed "U" shape).

SER: Service Entrance Cable, Round. Same construction material-wise as SEU, but round construction affords use of more than 3 conductors to which SEU is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.