Anyone have experience with ultra capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ Conner

Google up Super capicators.
When I looked into them a few yers back I found the russians has first used them. They are just big electrolytic capacitors. I think the Russian started using them to start trucks in Siberia and other coldass places.
I think the Railroads strarted using them here first. They made it possible to star a diesel locomotive from a batter ( which didn't always work).

broadgage

I have seen ultra caps used in connection with PV modules for water pumping.

At times of low light, the PV array would charge the capacitor bank up 14.5 volts. The pump would then run on a mixture of stored energy and PV until the voltage dropped to about 10 volts.
The capacitor bank was sized for about 5/10 minutes pump operation, dependant on how much sunlight was available.

In full daylight the pump would run continually.
In full sunlight, a second pump would run in addition, perhaps cycling on/off if the PV output was more than used by a single pump, but less than that used by two pumps.

I think that the capacitor bank was 50F at 15 volts.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Wow, I guess I didn't understand your first post at all, and I read it a couple of times. It makes a lot more sense now that you posted some follow up.

And it sounds a lot more practical for 3-4KW range, especially since you only need to run the loads for 2 sec at a time, and the generator can recharge the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.