Anyone know where I can get an 800/3 480v panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I’m looking for an 800/3 MLO 480Y/277v N1 panelboard that can be delivered in 15/wks.

Anyone have a preferred panel shop you’ve worked with that could possibly build this? I’ve called a few places I found online that promise quick turnaround, but those that answered the phone couldn’t deliver in that time frame.

ABB lead time is 19/wks (in my recent experience that has always ended up delaying another 3/wks), and they don’t have the components available for this one as Pro Stock. Customer is willing to pay. Square D and Eaton factory lead times were even longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Good luck, I tried to get one a month ago, they said 10 months. (Siemens) I ended up finding a 800 amp fusible disconnect, and using four 200 amp fusible disconnects to feed various MLO panels. There is plenty of used ones on Fleabay, but they are nearly twice as much as a new one.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Good luck, I tried to get one a month ago, they said 10 months. (Siemens) I ended up finding a 800 amp fusible disconnect, and using four 200 amp fusible disconnects to feed various MLO panels. There is plenty of used ones on Fleabay, but they are nearly twice as much as a new one.

I've got another job we're doing that on; but skipped the 800A disconnect, and using a 400A disconnect and a couple of 200A disconnects with individual secondaries from the pad mount xfrmr.

I'm not able to do that on this one; this panel will be fed from a switchboard with a single space left for an 800/3 circuit breaker. I've also got several sub panelboards and mini substations connecting to this 800A panelboard so I really need the breaker spaces.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I'm not able to do that on this one; this panel will be fed from a switchboard with a single space left for an 800/3 circuit breaker. I've also got several sub panelboards and mini substations connecting to this 800A panelboard so I really need the breaker spaces.
What's the largest size breaker you need in this 800A panelboard? Seems like you could run an 800A feeder to a tap box to multiple smaller main breaker panelboards, using the tap rules. So if a tap box and smaller panelboards are more available, that could help.

Cheers, Wayne

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I am calling all of them. I got a promising lead this afternoon.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
What's the largest size breaker you need in this 800A panelboard? Seems like you could run an 800A feeder to a tap box to multiple smaller main breaker panelboards, using the tap rules. So if a tap box and smaller panelboards are more available, that could help.

Cheers, Wayne

largest breaker is 400/3, which is what makes the panel difficult to find I believe. With ABB, they have to build a different bus section to hold the 400/3 than my other breakers that are 125/3 or smaller. There are maybe 6-7 breakers in the panel total.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
largest breaker is 400/3, which is what makes the panel difficult to find I believe. With ABB, they have to build a different bus section to hold the 400/3 than my other breakers that are 125/3 or smaller. There are maybe 6-7 breakers in the panel total.
Can you run an 800/3 feeder to a tap box, where you run a 400/3 tap to a 400A fused disconnect and on to your load, and then another 400/3 tap to a 400A panel taking all your 125/3 and smaller breakers? Or perhaps two such 400A panels depending on the load calcs. Or multiple 225A panels if those are more available.

This assumes that the tap box, 400A panels, and 400A fused disconnect are more available than a single panel with an 800A bus. Would be a bunch more enclosures, of course.

I've got zero experience of stuff of this size, just was reacting to your "I'm not able to do that on this one" statement, as it seems like there are options to avoid needing an 800A bus, if that is the supply chain sticking point. Just a brainstorm in case it helps.

Cheers, Wayne

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The main issue with using disconnects is going to be ease of future expansion. Initially I will have I think 6 circuit breakers in this panel for new loads, but will have many prepared spaces for future loads. If I’m unable to get this panel, I will offer disconnects as a last resort.

I got a phone call as I was leaving work today from my ABB vendor that they think another branch has this panel in their Pro Stock inventory. We will confirm in the morning, but sounds promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.