Appliance OCPD

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Isn't there something that says if the OCPD is indicated on an appliance it must be installed per that?

Example a dedicated circuit to a hard wired washer that indicates 240v 15 amp OCPD on the name plate.

Would an existing 2p 20 amp breaker need to be changed out to a 2p 15 amp in this instance even though the wire is #12 ?

JAP>

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it merely says current=15 amps I would say no. If it says something like use a 15 amp OCPD then the 20 needs to be changed.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not sure if this means MAX circuit breaker or not. That first column is showing a 10 amp breaker. That is not a standard size, so to me that makes this table a suggestion and not a requirement. The overcurrent rules in 422.11(E) probably apply. If the above info marked on the appliance or in the manual?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Not sure if this means MAX circuit breaker or not. That first column is showing a 10 amp breaker. That is not a standard size, so to me that makes this table a suggestion and not a requirement. The overcurrent rules in 422.11(E) probably apply. If the above info marked on the appliance or in the manual?
10amp was added in 2023 edition? Or was this just a proposal I heard about?

jap

Occupation
Electrician

It's on both.

I usually don't sweat the small stuff but this caught my interest.

I was wondering if when this is indicated on the nameplate if they're using the BCOPD as a means of protection for the unit somehow.

Not sure.

JAP>

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
It would really suck to have to add a 10A fusible disconnect for that. 10A may be a new standard size, and some manufacturers offer 10A breakers in single pole (I've see some from I think CH and QO), but they seem rare. TO me, a manufacturer should list something for use on a 20A protected circuit, as a normal cord and plug item could always end up on a 20A circuit.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
It would really suck to have to add a 10A fusible disconnect for that. 10A may be a new standard size, and some manufacturers offer 10A breakers in single pole (I've see some from I think CH and QO), but they seem rare. TO me, a manufacturer should list something for use on a 20A protected circuit, as a normal cord and plug item could always end up on a 20A circuit.
To me a 10amp breaker is a waste of good space.

I’m sure there’s uses for it and especially more in the future but for now I just don’t see it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
1688147152823.png
This is pretty hard to read do you have a link to the specifications?