Apply 220.56 kitchen equip. demand factor to walk-in cooler/freezer

designer82

I'm working on a supermarket project that has a bunch of walk-in coolers/freezers for storage and clear glass displays.

Would you apply 220.56 kitchen equipment demand to the above or just go conservative and use 100% demand?

Thanks

MyCleveland

I'm working on a supermarket project that has a bunch of walk-in coolers/freezers for storage and clear glass displays.

Would you apply 220.56 kitchen equipment demand to the above or just go conservative and use 100% demand?

Thanks
I would only use that table for a Kitchen area where they are cooking up or preparing pre-cooked items for sale. Your store may or may not have one. I have done a few where one store has a Meal Kitchen and Bakery Kitchen where they prepare foods for multiple other branch stores. This is where your 220.56 table would kick-in.

Regarding the refrigeration, is the refrigeration equipment not centralized? Then you are left with small loads (fans) + lighting at each individual cooler or freezer. Lean on the refrigeration system designer for guidance.

retirede

It sounds like the typical supermarket that has been constructed times thousands over the past 50 years. Surely there are existing Engineering design criteria for such things.

Paul_Briganti

Washington Electrical CEU, LLC
Occupation
Educator / VP Electrical Apprenticeship ABC Western Washington
T220.56 deals with demand factors for commercial cooking equipment; the reference offers examples that might be found in a kitchen. I don't think the intent here was to include walk-in coolers/freezers for storage and clear glass displays when you first do not have a "kitchen." The last sentence in the first paragraph states, "These demand factors shall not apply to space-heating, ventilating, or air-conditioning equipment." The R in HVAC/R for refrigeration would go along with air-conditioning.