Apprentice Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I passed the exam and the initial qualification stage and am on to the interview on Monday morning.

What kinds of questions can I expect? Are they standard interview questions such as Why do you want to be an electrician, what makes you a good electrician, etc?

I did a little research and didn't come up with a whole lot. Mostly people being rude and unprofessional. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I sit on a lot of oral boards and each one is different, just depends on the skill level we're looking for.

But here is the advice I give each applicant. Don't over think the question and don't over answer it, they'll ask everyone the same question and you could kill yourself by going into to much detail. If they ask you what color a ground wire is, just say green and leave it at that, unless they ask a follow up. Relax, they're not there to trick you, usually, be personable, but not chatty. A don't worry about how you do, you might do fine and two guys do better, or a hundred other reasons why you don't get hired.

Learn from it. If they ask you something and you don't know it, make sure that you know it for next time.

Good Luck.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
when I was going to school I worked for a detective agency.

The managers told me that there was an old geezer on the private detective board that always asked the same question regarding the Mann Act (aka the White Slavery Act). When they sat for their oral examination, sure enough, that was the question he asked both of them.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
When I went to my apprenticeship interview back in 86' I wore a suit, made sure that I got there early and answered their questions directly by looking directly at the person asking (this was a round table of about 4 or 5 interviewers). They asked a few questions about my transcripts from both high school and college. One big question was if I was afraid of heights. They also asked if I was committed enough to attend school, after working all day, 2 nights a week for 5 years. Back then the $64,000 dollar question was, "How did you hear about the apprentice program?". If you answered "from my dad who's been a journeyman electrician for 30 years" you were in. ;)

Good luck!

When I went to my apprenticeship interview back in 86' I wore a suit, made sure that I got there early and answered their questions directly by looking directly at the person asking (this was a round table of about 4 or 5 interviewers). They asked a few questions about my transcripts from both high school and college. One big question was if I was afraid of heights. They also asked if I was committed enough to attend school, after working all day, 2 nights a week for 5 years. Back then the $64,000 dollar question was, "How did you hear about the apprentice program?". If you answered "from my dad who's been a journeyman electrician for 30 years" you were in. ;)

Good luck!
Interviewed in 86??? Man, that makes you OLD!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.