Approve a sign that don't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nakulak

well, all I can tell you is that there are inspectors in this area that would laugh this notion into next year ("call me when its finished complete and I'll come back and inspect it")

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
well, all I can tell you is that there are inspectors in this area that would laugh this notion into next year ("call me when its finished complete and I'll come back and inspect it")

So how do they inspect a radiology area? Do they go into the room and stand there for awhile with the machines on and then postpone their approval until they start glowing? How do they know the machines are actually working? Why is one situation different than another?

Roger

nakulak

haven't done any patient care areas. we do mall stores, hotels, gen comm'l. if everything isn't working on final they'll be back.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
90.1(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered
necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and
proper maintenance results in an installation that is essentially
free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient,
or adequate for good service or future expansion of
electrical use
If it's safe, it doesn't have to work - If it does work it has to meet its intended purpose.

Jim W in Tampa

What part of nec requires we ever hook up or buy electric power ? This often requires a large deposit and fees and may not be needed yet. Its the inspectors problem to test, thats what we pay him for. The job either complies or doesnt. If not then site number. Many large jobs are dead till inspector passes.

lbwireman

In our area the POCO won't energize a service until the Final Inspection has been approved and the approval faxed to them by the AHJ. That said, they allow (encourage) us to do temporary "cut overs" so the customer is not without power and they can schedule the official service drop/service entry connection at their convenience. This is true with overhead services only. U/Gs we are not allowed to touch and must coordinate with their feild crews.

Status
Not open for further replies.