Approved method for bonding metal gate to post

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 1/2" diameter metal gate post mounted in concrete and 5 feet from a permanent pool. NEC calls for grounding/bonding all metal within 6 feet. It will be easy to bond that metal post to the overall pool system ground bus (which does interconnect every other metal item within 6 feet of the water.) NEXT TO the post is the latch side of a metal gate. On hinged side of metal gate is again 2 1/2" metal gate post mounted in concrete. Again I can easy ground/bond it to system ground. MY QUESTION (sorry for the long buiid-up): Can anyone recommend a specific flexible grounding/bonding strap that is listed, UL approved, or otherwise approved for connecting the gate at the hinge side to the non-movable metal pole at the hinged side. I can find many for airplane use and automotive use, but I have not found one specifically for this type of application.

Thanks for the link. Those should work. Yes, there are metal hinges. I made assumption there would not necessarily be consistent low resistance between post, through hinge, to gate, but it's certainly something I'll check out.

Using the straps you identified, the model 588 looks about right in terms of length, would you simple drill and tap the steel posts (one fixed, one on gate) and use machine screw to attach strap? (of course, paint will need to be removed in area of mounting.)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I doubt you would have any worse resistance on the hinges to gate than some of the tiny lugs that are on some of the pool equip. Plus, you already have a back up because there are two (or more) hinges!

JFletcher

Thanks for the link. Those should work. Yes, there are metal hinges. I made assumption there would not necessarily be consistent low resistance between post, through hinge, to gate, but it's certainly something I'll check out.

Using the straps you identified, the model 588 looks about right in terms of length, would you simple drill and tap the steel posts (one fixed, one on gate) and use machine screw to attach strap? (of course, paint will need to be removed in area of mounting.)

You're welcome. Yeah, I'd do it as you suggest, then paint over the finished product to help reduce corrosion.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I bonded a man gate by using 2 hole nema lugs, a length of 8 AWG insulated black copper, heat shrink from the lug onto the wire. Drill and tap for 14" x 20, use SS HHCS, washers, lock washers. Get to bare metal, use copper shield, and spray cold galv on lug when done.
I use the black wire, heat shrink, cold galv so it doesn't look like copper wire.

Two interesting finding today: 1. The hinges are not metal, rather, they are some type of dense composite material, and as such, not a conductor. 2. The permanent posts are coated with a very thick black vinyl-like compound. Needed a sharp utility knife blade and good bit of pressure to get enough exposure just for a test prod! Sounds as if i'll be using Dremel tool to get to good metal. When I finish the bonding, i'm thinking of re-coating everything with liquid vinly...much as Tom Baker has suggested.

I'm moving ahead on project to bond gate posts and gate to system ground. I have not been able to find code section discussing whether #4 should be enclosed in PVC. I typically do use PVC to protect bonding wire when exposed. In this case vertical runs (from gate and gate-posts to wooden pergola like structure over head) would be in PVC for protection and appearance, but some of the #4 will be run along wood where it could just be stapled to the wood. Suggestions?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
2 1/2" diameter metal gate post mounted in concrete and 5 feet from a permanent pool. NEC calls for grounding/bonding all metal within 6 feet. It will be easy to bond that metal post to the overall pool system ground bus (which does interconnect every other metal item within 6 feet of the water.) NEXT TO the post is the latch side of a metal gate. On hinged side of metal gate is again 2 1/2" metal gate post mounted in concrete. Again I can easy ground/bond it to system ground. MY QUESTION (sorry for the long buiid-up): Can anyone recommend a specific flexible grounding/bonding strap that is listed, UL approved, or otherwise approved for connecting the gate at the hinge side to the non-movable metal pole at the hinged side. I can find many for airplane use and automotive use, but I have not found one specifically for this type of application.

late to the parade..... sorry.

http://www.maydaygrounding.com/products/details.asp?idProd=97

and if you want to burn off that nasty vinyl, there is always cadweld.

http://www.maydaygrounding.com/products/details.asp?idProd=98

most of this stuff you'll find in a POCO's switchrack, or generating station.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
the mayday items look ok, but i would want zinc galvanized for outside use. are they UL listed?

as for OP ask for UL listed, listed for what exactly? a #8 fine stranded wire loop connected to each side using proper bonding fittings should suffice. the wire and connections are UL listed, etc. a crimp lug attached via a locking nut seems ez pz to do. kinda the same thing as post #6. done.

Bob V

I'm moving ahead on project to bond gate posts and gate to system ground. I have not been able to find code section discussing whether #4 should be enclosed in PVC. I typically do use PVC to protect bonding wire when exposed. In this case vertical runs (from gate and gate-posts to wooden pergola like structure over head) would be in PVC for protection and appearance, but some of the #4 will be run along wood where it could just be stapled to the wood. Suggestions?

NEC requires bonding and grounding conductors # 8 to be in conduit to protect it from injury. Anything larger it is not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.