arc fault breaker with gfci outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonR

I want to protect a residential garage with GFCI's as required. Can I use an AFCI as a feeder breaker to provide arc fault protection as well?? has anybody ever tried this?(I would assume so).

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
AFCI protection of a GFCI circuit/receptacle is fine and will work.
Yes, assuming the AFCI works at all.:) I guess we'll being doing a lot more of this come the 2014 NEC. Some complain of the issues with AFCI, just wait 'til we start using even more of them in a typical house.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes, assuming the AFCI works at all.:) I guess we'll being doing a lot more of this come the 2014 NEC. Some complain of the issues with AFCI, just wait 'til we start using even more of them in a typical house.

NC decided to go to a 6 year plan. No 2014 for 6 years if they accept that version. This is the first I have seen the state not accept the new code.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It will be interesting to see how the 2014 AFCI rule works out. It seems that a lot of the false trips that we have now involve motor loads and we will be adding a lot more AFCI protected motor loads in the 2014 code.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
It will be interesting to see how the 2014 AFCI rule works out. It seems that a lot of the false trips that we have now involve motor loads and we will be adding a lot more AFCI protected motor loads in the 2014 code.
How true. Adding a flakey device to a SABC that powers all kinds of small appliances.....gee, what could go wrong there?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I want to protect a residential garage with GFCI's as required. Can I use an AFCI as a feeder breaker to provide arc fault protection as well?? has anybody ever tried this?(I would assume so).

Unless you are tapping off a circuit that already has AFCI, why would you want to do this?
I can see problems down the road if things like shop vacs, saws, basically different power tools being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.