Arc fault breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
If it's"real time" why is the traffic stationary?
Yep, not real time. I tried the link and zoomed in on my house. It's a picture of over a month ago when I was installing risers on my septic tank. Definitely not real time

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
No Assumption Needed for Replacements

I could go in and replace every receptacle (they are called NOT PLUGS) in a house with non TR devices and simply say that they were replaced before AFCI was required. So unless the house is newer than when AFCIs were required, I defy the AFCI police to say they have to be installed.

-Hal

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I could go in and replace every receptacle in a house with non TR devices

Because its legal, if within 406.12 Exception (4) re: 406.4(D)2(a)

I defy the AFCI police to say they have to be installed.

Most realtors make a point to show & tell improvements, including new devices.

No seller nor realtor will hide new outlets, even if they are the wrong outlets.

Last edited:

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
And this scenario seems to be happening a lot with Home Inspectors lately. I’ve been hearing this a lot lately because I have two friends who are realtors and they keep getting this from HIs hired by buyers. Now their colleagues are calling to ask me too. Someone I think offered HIs a class (maybe a Zoom class during COVID?) and spewed this as gospel.
Got one working on right now when HO called realizing he was over his head trying to change a light fixture and saw "a mess". The HO is now furious with that they paid for HI and several deficiencies were either missed or ignored.
Several just the use of a simple plug in tester should have picked up on. H/N reversal, grounded receptacles with no ground present, presence of ungrounded.2 prong receptacles to name a few. Also several glaring visual misses, NM wire run into heating duct, K&T present, old BX, old rag wire, rust and wet breakers (water in indicator window) in panel to name a few. None of which was mentioned on the inspection report.
And that doesn't include what was found once fixture boxes were opened to replace or repair. Open bared conductors (insulation brittle and falling off), burnt conductors, thhn used to jump from box to another box with no conduit and just punched through the 2 holes in the back of the metal box.
HO opened the ceiling in one room to allow for insulation to be installed and I found burnt wire, BX still live (probably because of the bad breaker condition in basement panel) and the wood rafters turned into charcoal.
Then there was structural issues, one was a whole beam section of the post and beams construction was completely rotted and the mortise tenon joint where the joist were falling, I found it when drilling a locater pilot hole to fish new wire for kitchen. (Only had one circuit and that was also the lighting circuit that included upstairs receptacles and light).
HI - buyer beware before using one. Most HI reports not worth the paper they are written on. My experience has been that they'll call out non issues and totally miss on real ones.

kwired

Electron manager
Google has no respect for your home town. My area is updated at least once a year.

It zooms close enough to see whats in the bed of truck without street view.

Farmers in rural areas may use other real-time satellite services for crop management?
Since posting I looked around the area, farm areas I see many projects I done the past 3-5 years are not even on the maps yet, even in the small towns there are items that are not on the maps that been there for 3-5 years.

Does Google use satellites for imaging or do they tap into publicly available real estate images? Or maybe a mix of both?

Getting street views I would think would need to have someone actually travel routes and take images along the way. Street view is generally not available in most the small towns here other than maybe along some the main through highways or on "main street" or other more popular spots in certain areas.

kwired

Electron manager
Google has no respect for your home town. My area is updated at least once a year.

It zooms close enough to see whats in the bed of truck without street view.

Farmers in rural areas may use other real-time satellite services for crop management?
I just realized you were talking Earth and not maps so I checked that out. My place (a rural location) the image is the same thing that comes up with Maps, but I can't zoom in as close as I can with maps. I can zoom in but at the close up ranges it gets blurry. I likely could see what is in bed of a truck with maps but not with Earth. But with either the image is like from at least 5 years ago.

kwired

Electron manager
Because its legal, if within 406.12 Exception (4) re: 406.4(D)2(a)

Most realtors make a point to show & tell improvements, including new devices.

No seller nor realtor will hide new outlets, even if they are the wrong outlets.
So there are properties being sold with the make or break item of the sale being new receptacles?

I'd guess many potential buyers (electricians definitely excluded from the list) wouldn't even notice if all the receptacles in a house were two wire receptacles, regardless the age of the home.

ramsy

Occupation
If it's"real time" why is the traffic stationary?
Larry & kwired are correct, its not real time.

Google Earth's published use of Landsat-8 wont include a stationary orbit over fixed point(s).

Here is a graphic of Landsat-8 orbital perimeters.

~100 minute orbit crosses the poles on its way around the earth, with limited data storage & telemetry rates. How management or algorithm prioritizes image updates was not found.

ramsy

Occupation
Is there a genuine real-time Earth view available to the general public anywhere?

Google Earth may be the only satellite survey, that makes some updates in real time along its orbital path, available to the public domain.

Don't know how many orbits it takes Lansat-8 to survey the same location twice, but my street is not updated very often.

Google Earth relied on aircraft surveys before satellites, and now combines both.

If you search for satellite crop management, you'll find specialized satellites can be re-purposed in synchronous orbit above your farm, but have not investigated the cost.

ramsy

Occupation
likely could see what is in bed of a truck with maps but not with Earth. But with either the image is like from at least 5 years ago.

Roger that, using Google Earth from my smart phone, and dropping a pin on my location shows:

"imagery date: 2/7/20-newer"

This satellite image is duplicated in Google Maps without the imagery date.

2/7/20 is 2yrs 2mo from today's date 4/9/22.

Status
Not open for further replies.