Arc Fault Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Welcome to the Forum.

I've never heard of an AFCI certification of the employees of a client of an Electrical Contractor.

That said, I'll bet the answer of what this "certification" is intended to attest to lies in the entity that is asking for it. That is: What does the Client of your Client need the employees of your Client to "know"?

I'm not trying to play word games here. You see, the makers and manufacturers of AFCI hardware have stonewalled the Electrical Contractor, Inspector and installer from having any knowledge about what individual make and model of AFCI actually do, and how they do it. The ONLY recognized testing method (per UL) for the operable condition of an AFCI device is to use the TEST and RESET buttons. There is no equipment that can test AFCIs, again, per UL.

As a result, there are quite a number of different proprietary solutions to the Grand Concept of AFCI protection, each hidden behind manufacturer's stonewalls. Trouble shooting the tripping of an AFCI device first requires knowing what little there is to know about that specific make and model of AFCI device.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
70E

70E

I'm thinking their looking for Arc Flash Certification, not that this is a valid term either.
I think it could be called Arc Flash Qualified and that would consist of a 70E Compliance class that focuses on how to interact with electrical systems.
But qualified is a term that implies training on specific tasks like padmount MV switching; Verification of voltage; etc.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm thinking their looking for Arc Flash Certification, not that this is a valid term either.
I think it could be called Arc Flash Qualified and that would consist of a 70E Compliance class that focuses on how to interact with electrical systems.
But qualified is a term that implies training on specific tasks like padmount MV switching; Verification of voltage; etc.
I have a feeling you are barking up the right tree here, and OP is looking for training for safe electrical work practices and in particular those that deal with "live work" tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.