Arc Fault Hazard Lower Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

My understanding is that the "avoid contact" applies to both your body and any tools you may be using. If you are using a tool to contact the live parts, you need voltage rated gloves even if the tool is rated for the voltage. Table 130.7(C)(15)(a)

130.4(C) Approach to Exposed Energized Electrical Conductors or Circuit Parts Operating at 50 Volts or More.

No qualified person shall approach or take any conductive object closer to exposed energized electrical conductors or circuit parts operating at 50 volts or more than the Restricted Approach Boundary set forth in Table 130.4(C)(1) and Table 130.4(C)(2), unless any of the following apply:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
130.4(C) Approach to Exposed Energized Electrical Conductors or Circuit Parts Operating at 50 Volts or More.

No qualified person shall approach or take any conductive object closer to exposed energized electrical conductors or circuit parts operating at 50 volts or more than the Restricted Approach Boundary set forth in Table 130.4(C)(1) and Table 130.4(C)(2), unless any of the following apply:
The tester probe is a conductive object.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Insulated with a gaurd at the end to prevent your fingers from making contact. At least mine are.
Of couse they are, but I don't see anything that tells me that I don't need voltage rated gloves when using an insulated test probe with a guard.

zog

Of couse they are, but I don't see anything that tells me that I don't need voltage rated gloves when using an insulated test probe with a guard.

You won't find that specifically stated, however I believe the handbook explains the intent of "avoid contact", will have to dig that out and check, thinking it is in Annex C?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You won't find that specifically stated, however I believe the handbook explains the intent of "avoid contact", will have to dig that out and check, thinking it is in Annex C?
It is my opinion that if there is any way that you could make your fingers or hand touch the exposed energized parts, the rule requires the use of voltage rated gloves.

zog

It is my opinion that if there is any way that you could make your fingers or hand touch the exposed energized parts, the rule requires the use of voltage rated gloves.

I agree, but things like external test points or a wall outlet would be examples of when gloves would not be necessary IMO, but others may disagree.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
130.4(C)(1) specifically says insulated or guarded from. There is no requirement for insulation and guarding.

NFPA70E leaves it up to your ESWP to define what is adequate guarding.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So maybe if you are in a panel where everything is on finger safe terminals you would not need the gloves? In my experience that would be an unusual panel. Most everything I have worked on have exposed terminals that are not finger safe (guarded).

Status
Not open for further replies.