Arc Flash Gear and Insulated Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebell

don_resqcapt19 said:
Is a voltage rated tool "PPE"?

Don

I would say they are otherwise why not just use your regular tools? If they are considered PPE isn't the employer suppose to provide them according to the new OSHA directive?

Joe

jsharvey

PPE Equipment

PPE Equipment

Not sure if this answers your question but here is what NFPA 70E says about it.

130.7 Personal and Other Protective Equipment.
(A) General. Employees working in areas where electrical
hazards are present shall be provided with, and shall use,
protective equipment that is designed and constructed for
the specific part of the body to be protected and for the
work to be performed.

The "Shall Be Provided" sounds like ALL the PPE is the employers resposibility. Now whether each person or each truck or what has the PPE may be the employers call.
I just got back from a 70E training class and one of the instructors was involved in an incident, 13,500VAC, and lived to tell about it and what he told us was from the info he had received from OSHA even multimeters of the correct catagory were being considered as part of the employees PPE equipment.

Arc Flash gear

Arc Flash gear

I have found that using the right equipment when testing high voltages always keeps my hands steady. I recently had a chance to look at the ARC mishap video, I have determined that because of the wrong HR Cal rating gear, it caused the dude to realize a life shocking event at a early age. I usually try different vendors but lately I've been buying from these guys b/c of cost & delivery. Very good at there jobs, especially with the economy and lack of cust. service.

Moderators note; link to retailer removed, please contact poster by PM for this information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.