Arc Flash Kit Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
Please let me know of your experience and recommendations for an Arc Flash PPE kit.

My last one was 8-calorie from Salisbury and it was coveralls-based and it's been fine for 7 years. I'm looking to get a 20 calorie kit with bib overalls and a short coat this time since I think that will be more comfortable.

Thanks for any replies.

John M

wtucker

Please let me know of your experience and recommendations for an Arc Flash PPE kit.

I'm looking to get a 20 calorie kit with bib overalls and a short coat this time since I think that will be more comfortable.

Why 20? PPE Cat. 1 is 4 cal, Cat. 2 is 8 cal., 3 is 25, and 4, 40. Which will you be exposed to? If you want comfort, get a shirt and pants of at least 4 cal. (but you'll probably wind up with 12 cal.) for daily wear, and coveralls or bib and jacket to make up the difference between that and your anticipated exposure. Or, get a suit rated for your anticipated exposure.

You'll be most comfortable if everything you're wearing is arc-rated, because wearing jeans and a shirt, then adding a 40-cal. suit will just be hot and bulky.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
In order to properly select arc rated PPE (or any PPE for that matter), you need to know the hazard level that you are exposed to. This means that if working in an industrial/commercial facility, the owner of the facility is responsible for telling you what the arc flash hazard level is at the facility. Ideally, the facility would have had an arc flash study done and the incident energy levels are known. Without the study, then the NFPA table can be used IF the short circuit current and cleaning time are known at that piece of equipment and meet the table parameters.
Of course the proper PPE is also discussed with the Energized Work Permit being used to perform the work that requires arc rated PPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.