arc flash label installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Is it required by code to wear PPE cloth when put arc flash labels on equipment cover?
(low and medium voltage and still hot).

Carultch

Is it required by code to wear PPE cloth when put arc flash labels on equipment cover?
(low and medium voltage and still hot).

Only if the enclosure is in really bad condition. Otherwise, you are more likely to get in a trip accident with all the extra clothing, than you are to be subject to an arc flash hazard while working with only the exterior of the enclosure.

big john

Arc Flash Hazard.
A dangerous condition associated with the possible release of energy caused by an electric arc.

Informational Note No. 1: An arc flash hazard may exist when energized electrical conductors or circuit parts are exposed or when they are within equipment in a guarded or enclosed condition, provided a person is interacting with the equipment in such a manner that could cause an electric arc. Under normal operating conditions, enclosed energized equipment that has been properly installed and maintained is not likely to pose an arc flash hazard.
Ain't no way putting a sticker on an enclosure would precipitate an arc flash.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What if you slap it on the door really hard and trip a breaker/relay?
This is a very big cause of bruised palms and the proper PPE is required for these instances where you will "slap" the panel cover real hard. :D

Roger

big john

So you are saying there's a chance?
There's always a chance. :D

There's also the chance that the gear could spontaneously explode when somebody is just walking by it, but you know that if it's properly maintained it won't.

If their equipment is in such critical condition that this risk honestly worth discussing, then those arc flash stickers are useless anyway, because I guarantee that the interrupting times would not be accurate making all the incident energy calculations meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.