Arc Flash Labels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am being told by our consulting Engineer that all of our Arc Flash labels need to be reprinted and placed on our equipment. The Engineer indicated that the Arc Flash Labels have a maximum life of 5 years and need to be replaced every 5 Years.

I cannot find the requirement of the 5 years experation of the labels. Ref: NEC Article 110,16 thru Article 110.24

Can anyone help in finding this requirement or is this just a suggestion by the ANSI Label printing companies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Your consultant is talking about the label requirements in NFPA70E not those in the NEC.

70E requires labeling on equipment to inform workers of the required PPE (both voltage and arc related). The information on the labels needs to be reviewed at not more than 5 year intervals, but actual replacement, based on age alone, is not mandated.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
NFPA 70E, 130.5, states that the arc flash hazard analysis shall be updated when major modifications, renovations take place and reviewed periodically not to exceed 5 years to account for changes to distribution system, including utility available fault current. Based on that, labels could change. The other thing I have seen is that the date of the study is listed on the label and if the labels are not changed to revise the study date, field personnel/safety inspectors, etc. could be confused and think the labels are not valid if they are more than 5 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.